Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Iggy died - can antibiotics cause the following:  (Read 2263 times)

sarajane308

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
My Iggy died - can antibiotics cause the following:
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:57:23 AM »

My dear chinchilla passed away August 30th around 6pm. I had him hospitalized, it was his second full day there. They said he was doing better. It started off with a respiratory infection. We treated it. He was in antibiotics for a week and then he seemed much better, seemed to have improved actually 100%! Then that's when the weird stuff started happening. He was being very vocal with sounds I hadn't heard before, and hurling over. I didn't know what was wrong. I took him back in. They have me more antibiotics. A few days later he was hospitalized. Apparently his GI Tract had shut down. He could no longer eat or poop and then he died. It was very devastating, I loved him more than anything. My question is this - can antibiotics cause this? He was healthy and happy, a little over 4 years old. This all happened so suddenly and unexpectedly. He put up a fight and I spent over a grand trying to get him better. It didn't work. Since antibiotics kill all the good bacteria as well could it be possible that it caused his GI Tract to shut down? I honestly believe the antibiotics are ultimately what killed him. Thoughts please :-( thank you. He was my best friend. I wish I could've saved him and I hope no one else has to lose their chinchi. I really think this could've been prevented, but I don't know.

sarajane308

• # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Re: My Iggy died - can antibiotics cause the following:
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 08:11:32 AM »

And I might have the terms wrong..maybe what I mean is GI stasis? :-(

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »

I am very sorry for your loss. My condolences. (Yes, the term is GI stasis)

It is going to be hard to pinpoint exactly what happened without a necropsy. It is true that antibiotics can have devastating effects on a chinchilla's digestive system and that some chinchillas are more sensitive to those effects than others. It is always risky to use antibiotics. In your case I think the risk was worth it. Chinchillas usually do not recover from respiratory infections even with antibiotics. Antibiotics are commonly given for other things and usually there are no problems. Sometimes chinchillas on antibiotics stop eating and any time your pet is on them it is important to watch for that. This is true for all pets but chinchillas and rodents are especially vulnerable to complications from anorexia. In my opinion a good exotic vet will provide chinchilla owners with the means to hand feed when antibiotics are prescribed because it is not uncommon.

GI stasis is usually caused by anorexia but sometimes can be caused by antibiotics or something that is irritating to the GI tract and usually one leads to the other. It can usually be reversed if you catch and treat it early by force feeding or supplementing through the course of the meds. Probiotics can help and are often prescribed although their effectiveness is debated. It's throughput that is most important. If you notice your chinchilla has eaten nothing all day it's time to get it to the vet the next day and start hand feeding if you can't get there that day to determine the cause. If you notice there is no poop for 24 hours that should be considered an emergency as well.

If three or four days pass without anything flowing through the intestines there are many complications that can occur including bowel obstruction and torsion that are irreversible and organ failure from starvation or dehydration. There is a point of no return. It is always good to routinely assess your pet's food intake and fecal output every day since other things can cause this too. Assess the consistency and size of the feces every day. If they mostly look very small and ball-like it could be your pet has stopped eating or has cut back on his food intake.

I hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon. I'm sorry you had to go through that but sometimes there is nothing that can be done.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 08:53:51 AM »

Sorry for your loss. Just remember to be greatful for the time you got to share together.

I recently lost my first chin to a respitory illness as well.

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 06:27:17 AM »

I am so sorry for your lost!!! Thoughts are with you

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:58:43 AM »

Sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, Iggy.
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 11:41:29 AM »

I am so sorry.  Oral antibiotics can cause serious GI issues.  This is why it is always advised to give a live culture yogurt (like activia) in between antibiotic doses. 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

nkaystrat

• # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 12:04:43 AM »

So sad and so very sorry for your loss. 
Nancy

sarajane308