Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choking Sound  (Read 2109 times)

kulatr

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Choking Sound
« on: July 06, 2013, 10:45:39 PM »

In the past few weeks, my chinchilla (Howard) has started to make a noise that I would describe as a choking sound.  It's not after he eats or drinks (not that I've observed anyway).  But he appears to be wretching.  He'll extend his upper body and open his jaw very wide and make a terrible squeek/choking noise.  He also tends to paw at his mouth when this is happening.  The duration is different each time.  One day he made this alarming noise on and off for the greater part of the day.  Tonight he's done it two separate times for a few minutes each time.  What makes it even more alarming is that after he does this, he typically will curl up and whimper for a long time.  The day he choked/whimpered for most of the day, he laid down and breathed heavily, refused to eat or take any treats.  In contrast, tonight he made the choking noise and accepted a shredded wheat and ate it, periodically stopping to wretch and make the choking noise. 

I posted a video of Howard making this noise.  This is a very mild, subdued version of it.  It's just very difficult for me to watch and to hear.  :(  The video is posted on youtube at the following link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7CSVsoTB8U

I know that chinchillas do not have a gag reflex.  So I'm alarmed that he appears to be choking.  Anyone ever experience this?  Also, if there's a way to post the video, please let me know!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:14:21 PM by kulatr »

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Choking Sound
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 06:15:57 AM »

Its time for a vet visit.  Hopefully it is something easy.  I once had a chinchilla do that and he had managed to splinter one of his teeth.  A piece of it was still attached to the tooth at the top but the bottom part was sicking into his mouth.  He could also have a piece of hay stuck in his throat.  However, it could also be respiratory, in which case he would need antibiotics right away.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up