Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on introducing my babygirls!  (Read 687 times)

Bbevianiak

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Advice on introducing my babygirls!
« on: July 01, 2013, 02:05:48 PM »

I have two female chinchillas. The first one, Bella, was about 5/6 months when we got her. We have had her for 5 months now. She is sweet but very standoffish. She also shoots pee here and there with NO warning what so ever. 5 times maximum. We have noticed she is cage aggressive so we no longer take her out, we just let her come out herself. The chinchilla, violet, we just got is about 7 months the owner said. We have had her for a month now and are still having issues introducing them. She is really sweet and we have had no problems with her. They are in separate cages close to each other. We take them out for playtime at the same time but separate them. Before we put them away my girlfriend and i hold them and let them sniff each other. Sometimes one will chatter and sometimes the other will. The first time we put them together in the playpen Bella was chasing violet and she lost a patch of fur but they didn't bark or make noise. We separated them immediately because we were nervous. lol but they didn't get hurt or anything. And the second time we gave them more space so they didn't feel so much pressure. Once again, violet lost fur but no one got hurt. I know they are still getting used to each other and are going to have tiffs but when one loses fur should we separate them right away or just keep them together unless one gets hurt? I don't know what to do. I haven't read much on what to do if one loses a little fur. We do have a huge cage waiting for them as well. Please help and give us some advice!!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Advice on introducing my babygirls!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 05:43:08 PM »

You may need to wait another month for them to get used to each other. Letting them out together is probably not a good idea yet. It sounds like Bella is not well socialized. You may need to spend more time together outside of the cage maybe in a bathroom or shower stall where she is in direct contact with you more often and you will see gradual improvement over time with tameness. Female chinchillas are usually dominant and aggressive and don't always mix together. Fur slip and biting can turn into serious injuries. There are others who have experience with this where I do not. Hopefully they will comment soon.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Bbevianiak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:06:09 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts! We did get bella from persmart, but since we have had her we do handle her a lot because we want her to know that we are harmless. Once she is out of her cage shes fine, she doesnt mind when we hold her or anything so its not like shes aggressive. Personally, i feel like we do very well woth socializing her. If anyone has any other thoughts please let me know!

Thanks(:

Bbevianiak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:09:58 PM »

I just want them to be best friends lol  :(

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 06:17:19 AM »

My thoughts are that not all chinchillas are compatible with each other and female chinchillas are usually dangerous to each other unless they are litter mates that were never separated. If I were in your situation I would plan on keeping them housed separately but it depends on what risks you are willing to take. I know there are tricks you can try to make it work although sometimes it does take a couple of months for them to get used to each other before they'll work.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up