Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swollen area around testicles?  (Read 926 times)

jenniferlauren

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
Swollen area around testicles?
« on: June 23, 2013, 06:01:35 PM »

I only have one chinchilla and I have not had him very long, so I am not very experienced with these things. I have a male chinchilla and his two pink testicles have always been visible, but i recently noticed that above them to the left and right of his penis there seems to be two swollen glands under the fur. I do not know if it has always been like this and I never noticed, or if something is wrong. I have checked for fur rings and there are none. He seems to be acting completely normal otherwise though. Is there something wrong? Should I take him to a vet?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Swollen area around testicles?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 06:08:09 AM »

Male chinchillas do have a cooling mechanism for the epididymis which descends and presses outwards against a thin layer of skin. You'll usually notice it after periods of activity and it lays flat when the animal is cool. Since that is a very sensitive area chinchillas usually don't tolerate problems down there very well so I would expect to see other symptoms if there were something noticeably wrong.
Hair rings are uncommon to pets (as opposed to breeders) and usually presents with excessive cleaning of the area. I have a feeling what you are looking at is normal anatomy.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

jenniferlauren

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
Re: Swollen area around testicles?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 11:40:10 PM »

Thank you very much for your help, it has been warm in my area lately so it would make sense if this was the case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up