Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: can i ask a huge favor?  (Read 5442 times)

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
Re: can i ask a huge favor?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 05:43:52 AM »

It wasn't the antibiotics that resulted in the seizure...it was most likely the pain killer.
Metcam was given orally

Chinchoo was finding it very difficult to breathe though and was down to 498 grams.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 07:21:12 AM »

I am very sorry for your loss. I feel really bad for you and I hope you'll feel better soon.

Pneumonia most likely caused this seizure not the medication so don't feel too bad about that. In fact that is usually the last thing that happens with pneumonia when the blood oxygen levels fall to a fatal level.

Chinchillas can thrive in temperatures near freezing. Unless you had the A/C blowing straight into the cage with unmixed cold air I seriously doubt the air conditioner caused it (In that case it still wouldn't be the cold but stress). I run my portable air conditioner constantly to keep the temperature at the cage between 75F-80F (Although below 75 is best practice) and my chinchilla is very healthy. It blows perpendicular to the cage so there is no draft inside. Pneumonia is not caused by being cold but caused by viruses, bacteria, mold, or sometimes internal diseases that invade the lungs causing inflammation and pooling of fluids.

Sometimes an infection may result from an underlying problem (even a tooth problem) that has caused them to drop below a healthy weight or during a period of high stress that causes weight loss and suppression of the immune system. If your chinchilla was underweight it may not have been able to fight it off. There are many microbes that exist in the environment that can cause this if the chinchilla becomes immunocompromised. When it is hot and damp outside these types of microbes become more abundant.

Best practice is to always weigh chinchillas once a week and keep a log. If you see a weight decrease more than 15% on the trend it is time to see a vet and get a diagnosis before it can no longer recover from infection or the anesthesia required for certain types of tests. Usually when a chinchilla starts acting sick it is too late, especially in the case of respiratory illness.

Again I am very sad for you and I am so sorry you lost your chin.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:33:22 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 07:30:40 AM »

Thank you for the kind words and i definitely never had my a/c blowing directly at her.

Most likely it was just bad luck. I bet it was a tooth problem thaf led to it.

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 07:41:21 AM »

I doubt it was tha a/c myself because i used it for the last two years without any problems and i know they can live healthily
In temperatures near freezing.

Most certainly was a tooth issue. The little discharge near her eye  was present quite a while before she became ill. At least 2 weeks prior.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up