Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chin Playtime Advice  (Read 914 times)

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
Chin Playtime Advice
« on: May 10, 2013, 07:18:07 PM »

When I was in college, I would let my chins out for about an hour in the morning, then an hour at night everyday. Now that I get up at 5:30 am I switched to giving them 2 hours at night everyday. They seemed to like the separate playtimes more though. They don't stay out for the full 2 hours at night (they would when it was broken up though). How long and often do you guys let your chins out? It's also been getting a little harder to keep them on a schedule since now I work days and nights. Just looking for some playtime advice and what everyone else does, thanks!!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chin Playtime Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 05:58:43 AM »

My chinchilla's schedule is very inconsistent when it comes to being let out. I pull him out many times throughout the day in short sessions and more than I can count although usually it's just petting him and sitting with him. He usually gets his exercise when I let him run around about 15-30 min in the morning and again in the evening but I feel he gets most of his exercise in his cage as he vigorously jumps and runs around in ways he just does not do outside of the cage. He seems to be fine even on days when I handle him very little as well.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kathy5

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 03:23:30 PM »

we used to give zippy a few hours each night to help him settle down & not keep my son awake at night now that he has a bigger cage we have cut it down to an hour on school nights & 2 on the weekends

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:15:50 PM »

Thanks for the advice!! I think I'll try switching to 20-30 mins in the morning and then however long I can at night.
Pages: [1]   Go Up