Breeders > New Births

mam just gave birth help

(1/14) > >>

kay:
Hi everyone my chin just gave birth one seems fine under her feeding and sqeeking but the other it is 42grms and eyes shut and not being able to get under mam properly help i dont no what to do i got her out cos it looked like mam was standing on her/him and he was cool but still moving help please
kay

GrayRodent:
The 42g kit may be underdeveloped and dying. You can try to remove the healthy kit and see if the small one will nurse on its own. If it does then you can rotate the kits every hour. You can try feeding kitten formula with an eyedropper.

GrayRodent:
Also you will need to open its eyes if it does survive. You can use a cotton swab and warm water to gently coax the eyelids open. Otherwise serious complications will present later.

kay:
thanks for reply but the smaller one died abt five minutes after i posted this very upset, have i to clean the cage out tmorow? the bigger kit seems to be ok fingers crossed

GrayRodent:
I'm very sad for your loss. I hate to see animals die like that. It is something that you see on occasion with new litters in any species.

I would not worry about cleaning the cage except for normal cleanings. The fact the eyes were unopened is a strong indicator that it was not an infection but that the kit was not fully developed or had a birth defect. Chances are the bigger one will turn out to be just fine. Is this your first time with newborns? Is this one you bred?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version