Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Peeing Outside Cage  (Read 1440 times)

PrincessRisu

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Peeing Outside Cage
« on: March 02, 2013, 01:04:48 AM »

My boyfriend and I have a chinchilla named Zoey. We recently moved Zoey over to a different side of the room so we can giver her more attention. We didn't want chilla dust or poops flying out so we put cardboard up on the back and 2/3 of the way on the sides, front open. She however has started going on the top platform, backing her fluffy little butt up to the front side of the cage and pees anywhere from a few inches to 2 feet. I wish I was kidding. We have electrical chords everywhere and I don't want her to short out our stuff with her pee. What do I do!!She's so happy spending time with us I don't want to move her away but I don't want her to pee on our electrical chords and I don't want to put a "pee sheild" around the bottom of her cage (I saw that someone else solved their problem like that) I don't know how to make her stop. Her bedding is clean, she's never done this before (just pooped outside but that's not hard to clean) she has food, and water and things to chew on and she gets petted every day. I don't know why she's doing it... I am just flustered, any ideas?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla Peeing Outside Cage
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:00:52 AM »

I'm not sure if your chin has access to its bedding but if it does not you can try to provide a pan that has bedding in it inside of the cage. They'll use it like a litter box. I would use either kiln-dried pine chips or plain unscented clay cat litter (that it 100% pure clay). You can put it in a ceramic dog dish or other chew proof device that is not easily knocked over. If the bedding you use is safe for chinchillas you can take the contaminated bedding and put it in the bowl. The scent of its own pee will help draw it back to there. If there is pee on the cardboard you are using you'll need to remove it because of that fact. Having loose bedding inside of the cage may provide a more attractive place to pee on.
I know this works sometimes. If there is already bedding inside the cage try to gather up anything with pee on it and pile it in one corner. Rodents tend to use one place to pee and often go by smell to find that place. Once that place has been firmly established they'll go it regardless.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Chinchilla Peeing Outside Cage
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:04:38 AM »

Is the shelf she is peeing from wire?  If so put a piece of untreated pine board or a tile chin-chiller on the shelf.  Most chinchillas will not pee on a hard surface if they can help it and making the shelf solid will cause her to come back down to go.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up