Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking my new chinchilla out of the cage...  (Read 1038 times)

notanotherxerox

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Taking my new chinchilla out of the cage...
« on: March 04, 2013, 01:25:25 PM »

Hi! I recently got my first chinchilla from a family who couldnt give her attention that she needed. She is amazingly friendly almost right away and very sweet. For the month that I've had her I've been putting my arm inside the cage to pet her and try to get her used to being handled. She's doing great with it and ready to be held but I am extremely nervous because of how fast and squirmy she is. I'm terrified that if I try to take her out she will get away and be loose in my room. I've already planned to take her out in the bathroom where she will be safe if she did get loose but still I'd like to avoid if.

What is the next step to be able to safely take her out and her not get away? And when you let them run around a secure room how do you get them back in their cages? I've been making the same noise everytime I give her a treat in hopes of training her to come to me if she is loose. I'm hoping some experienced chinchilla owners can help me further bond with my little girl. Thank you for your time!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Taking my new chinchilla out of the cage...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 03:03:10 PM »

That's great you've got a nice chinchilla. I have had mine get loose many times and have been able to track him down every time so don't panic if she gets down but certainly don't hesitate to capture her. Sometimes my chinchilla gets in a mood where he just wants to jump away and run around while most of the time he's usually pretty calm. When I think it's likely he'll get loose I close the door to my room. You can try to get her to come but a curious chinchilla is not easily distracted.

Another thing I have found helpful is a net. I have a a fine mesh net about 12" in diameter on a wooden pole that is very lightweight. I rarely get the animal into the net but it's fairly safe to use it to chase him out from under furniture. A broom might work but is much heavier and can cause some damage if you are not careful.

Keep in mind that the safest way to handle a chinchilla is to hold it firmly by the base of the tail and support it under the chest at the same time. It looks strange and horrifying to do this and sometimes the animal does struggle but it does not cause injury or discomfort to the animal to pick it up by the base of the tail. If she struggles in your hands don't immediately let go but let her go the moment she becomes still. (Chinchillas usually struggle in short bursts)

Do not try to catch it by the tail or hold it further down our you can break the tail. Also support under the front legs. Avoid squeezing around the ribs too hard because they need to be able to breathe but hold her around the chest securely. Secure is safe. Loose is dangerous especially is she starts flailing around when she's partially restrained. This is known to cause serious injury.

Do not hold around the abdomen where the intestines are. I know there are people who say they have a "floating rib cage" and that will dislocate ribs but that is not true. Their ribs are fragile but they are also flexible. I have never injured my chinchilla by holding it under the chest.

Sometimes when a chinchilla is struggling it's easy to grab a leg by mistake especially if you have to chase her. Avoid grabbing feet or legs as this can easily cause a dislocations and all kinds of problems especially if the animal kicks and flails. Once the chinchilla is out of the cage you may not be able to hold her for very long (like 20 seconds) until she starts getting very upset and slipping fur so be prepared. I've been bit training my chinchillas to tolerate being held so be careful. Try not to over-react and re-enforce negative behaviors. A chinchilla that is not used to be held will take some time but the more often you do it the longer the animal will tolerate being held. Try to put her back down before it gets bad. Be deliberate and consistent in the way you do things and you'll be successful. I have been very successful with two chins, the first one being pretty wild. You'll get there.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:35:24 AM »

My advice would be to take it to the bathroom and let it get down on the floor.  Chinchillas are very curious and so it is only natural for them to want to get onto the floor and explore.  With you on the floor with her you can practice holding her and getting more confident.  In the bathroom, you should have no trouble cornering her and scooping her up.   Once you have her in your arms you can turn her to face you so her front paws are on your chest and her back feet are on your arm.  If she is doing good just cup your other hand in front of her face (not actually touching it) and this usually stops the going forward motion and calms them.  If she is really wiggly it is okay to use that hand to firmly grasp the base of her tail right where it meets the body.  You can control her there with confidence.

If you have an inclosed dustbath house you can place that on the floor when playtime is done.  When she jumps in just place your hand over the hole and take her and the dust bath back to the cage.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

notanotherxerox

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 01:09:40 PM »

Thank you so much for your replies! I have let my chinchilla out in the bathroom several times now and she seems to have fun running and exploring. I've been luring her into the cage with a trail of a couple of flakes of oatmeal and a 1/2 of a cheerio at the end which gets her into the cage. I just have to wait until she decides she wants to check the cage out and find the treats. I'm nervous about catching her because I dont want her to associate me getting her with the ending of her fun so I think I'll try the dustbath idea to get her back into her house. She'll definitely come to that quicker than what I'm doing now. I have also held her multiple times and she seems to be getting used to it once I have her but I've noticed her running when i go to pet her since I started so I've been trying to mix it up so she doesn't think every time I touch her I'm going to grab her.
Zoey and I thank you for helping us bond safely!
Pages: [1]   Go Up