Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla excessively thirsty?  (Read 2292 times)

tmburton

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Chinchilla excessively thirsty?
« on: February 19, 2013, 06:34:49 PM »

I saw this was a topic in this forum a few years ago but I wanted a fresh answer on it!

My chin is about 4-5 years old (I'm not sure exactly, she was a rescue), I had 2 other chinchillas before but one was about 12 and had to be put to sleep due to tooth issues and my other one also passed away so I am really over-protective of the one I have left.

She is healthy in every way, I have her exams done regularly, and last summer we had her sedated and had her teeth x-rayed to check for spurts or anything else weird.  Everything came back great.  The thing is, she drinks a LOT of water.  I have a glass water bottle and it doesn't leak much, and yet I still have to fill it up at least 2, sometimes 3 times a week.  Our house is not overly warm, and she has several chin-chillers and cool down spots in her cage, so I don't think she's overheating.  She is eating well, and hasn't lost any weight.  In fact, she eats a LOT of food and always has since I got her.

I'm just wondering if this is something I should be overly concerned about and if I should schedule an appt with my vet.  I've been considering it for a little while but wanted to get some opinions from other chinchilla experts and see what everyone thinks.

Thanks so much! Houdini will thank you also!  :::grins::

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Chinchilla excessively thirsty?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 06:38:41 PM »

All chinchillas are different in how much water they drink.  In my herd room its not uncommon to have some chinchillas needing regular refills long before other do  If everything else is normal I wouldn't worry.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla excessively thirsty?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 07:30:56 PM »

If it makes you feel any better I had a chinchilla that drank about 20cc per day very consistently. He also had to be put to sleep because of tooth problems and still drank the same amount per day. I measure my chin's water intake since I have a ruler attached to his water. (It's 6cm accross so It's easy to calcuate).

My new chinchilla is much less consistent. Usually he drinks about 28cc per day but some days he'll drink over 40cc. He is perfectly healthy and from a reputable breeder.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up