Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Please! White chinchilla pee?!?!?!  (Read 1426 times)

cheylan

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Help Please! White chinchilla pee?!?!?!
« on: February 19, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »

OKay so about a week ago i bought two chinchillas from a man online.....a male and a female....
The female was on her running wheel when all of a sudden she started WHAT im ASSUMING was Peeing...and it was white and
milky/chalky looking. ive looked all over the internet and cant find nothing about it, can someone please help, what is wrong with her? Is she got a infection, is she in heat?  :'(

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Help Please! White chinchilla pee?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 07:09:28 PM »

Could be a couple of things. If it is urine it could be a bladder infection. If it is coming from the vulva it is usually a condition called pyometra which is a severe and sadly incurable infection of the uterus. If it is a bladder infection you will need antibiotics to prevent damage to the urinary tract and kidneys. If it is pyometra the best option is euthanasia. When chinchillas are in heat there should be no blood or discharge. Having male and female together is a bad idea unless you are breeding or if the pair is bonded to the point they are dependent on each other. They will have babies if left together. White discharge is abnormal and is a sign of infection. Either way I am very sorry you are having problems with your new pets. I hope it is something simple.
Also be aware that antibiotics can cause chinchillas to go off their food. A veterinarian should provide you with a recovery diet if antibiotics are prescribed. If not ask about it and monitor your chinchilla's food intake.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:11:41 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up