Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: strange behavior  (Read 1362 times)

chintastick

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
strange behavior
« on: November 01, 2012, 04:13:36 PM »

Hello,
in July of this summer i adopted a beautiful little female i named Lilly :) we were getting quite along but about 2 weeks ago she started acting a little different. She seems scared of me more than she used to be, she barks sometimes when i try to touch her, she seems less intrigued by her treats and so i was wondering what was going on and if i should go see a vet :/ on a completely subject i was wondering how to tell if a chin is dehydrated and if there are tricks to notice such things and ever since ive gotten her she bites the bars of her cage, it is 4 levels high and i let her out as often as i can (so in between 1h and 1h30) i was wondering if this is normal :/ is it ok? and is it because she is board? i should be getting her a friend this Christmas hopefully that should help!

thank you :)

gasaraki03

• Appreciation points: 6
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Re: strange behavior
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 04:40:04 PM »

As for hows she's acting i don't think a vet will help unless somethings physically wrong they aren't chinchilla experts. Has anything changed like food new stuff etc.

Dehydrated is most commonly is caused by diarrhea.
Good way to help rehydrate your chinchilla if ever needed is have plenty of water and give Pedialyte which is mixture of water and necessary minerals for rehydration.

If they are too hot they will lay down and spread out, rapid breathing, droolings, weak, unresponsive, comatose. Those are some the ways to tell is they are getting too hot.

One of my chinchillas would every so often chew on the bars but haven't for a while. Do they have plenty of toys and chews to chew on, maybe she needs more to keep her entertained.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:44:17 PM by gasaraki03 »

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 03:06:04 PM »

My chinny bites the bars of his cage when he's bored.
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

ohio chinny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 05:08:29 PM »

as for the chewing, probably just boredom, although they do need hard stuff to chew on, id recommend some sort of chew stone if she doesn't have one, Lava brand pumice chews are commen around here, but my chinnie demolishes them in no time :) mostly i give her a half of one (they come in 3 packs, of these triangles) every week. sometimes I find some cubes of what they call pumice, but its like... compressed or something... pumice usually looks all bubbly, these didn't... anyway, the cubes last a lot longer, but she doesn't like them near as much
personally, I'm of the opinion that wood chews aren't really enough

chintastick

• # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 07:35:19 PM »

Thank you for your answers :),

if she is bored i've tried wood witch is really the only kind of "toy" they recommend for chinchillas, what would good toys that i could get? that would entertain her?

gasaraki03

• Appreciation points: 6
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 08:35:40 PM »

Various Wood Chews
Lava Rock
Cardboard Tubes (As long as they only chew it and don't eat it)
Blue Cloud Rocks
Loofah Slices
Palm leaf shredder

I mostly just have wood lots of different kinds. Also if your chinchilla get bored of a toy take it away and put it back in like a week there think its brand new.

Pages: [1]   Go Up