Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sudden increase in appetite! Maybe sick?  (Read 1441 times)

ChiliPepper

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Sudden increase in appetite! Maybe sick?
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:43:12 PM »

Hi,

My two chins, Chili (female, age 12) and Pepper (male, age 6) have been on a pretty steady, healthy diet ever since Pepper was introduced to the mix 6 years ago.  They eat about 3 heaping tablespoons (total for both) each day of Mazuri.  Occasionally there was even some left over, but they typically ate it all.  This is, of course, supplemented by hay (pressed and loose), dried apple, alfalfa nibble rings, sticks, and other healthy treats.

About two weeks ago, my husband and I began to notice how rapidly their food was gone after feeding them.  They tore through it and it was gone immediately.  Also, instead of just stirring in the morning and waking up late morning, both are up and at the front of the cage early, begging for food.  We don't want to overfeed them or because of our schedules we don't want to switch to a twice daily feeding schedule.  They've been getting more hay and alfalfa nibble rings as we try to supplement the food in a healthy way, and we have upped their food from 3 to 4 tablespoons. 

They are drinking water normally.  Their poop is normal - no diarrhea.  The only other small change is that Chili, the elder, has been losing a little more hair lately.  At 12 years old, that doesn't seem totally abnormal to us.

Finally, I do not think anything is wrong with Pepper, the younger of the two.  I think his "increased appetite" is just following suit with his "big sister," because if he doesn't get to the dish when she does, there won't be anything left for him.

Thanks in advance, your help is greatly appreciated!
Jen - mommy of Chili (female age 12) and Pepper (male age 6)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Sudden increase in appetite! Maybe sick?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:31:52 PM »

Chinchillas typically don't overeat when it comes to normal food. They should have constant access to fresh hay and alfalfa pellets. Variations in food intake caused by lack of food can be harmful.

Are you noticing a decrease in the amount of hay consumed? If there is a sharp decrease it could be you need a fresh batch of hay.

You may have observed that chinchillas do go through shedding cycles. The older they get the slower the hair grows back to replace it. If you are seeing bald patches this could be a sign of a skin condition.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

ChiliPepper

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 01:12:19 PM »

Thanks, GrayRodent, for your reply!  Your insight is most appreciated!

They always have fresh hay and food available, and we swap the hay out regularly to make sure it's not sitting in there too long.  There was always some food left over throughout the day, and while I know they supposedly cannot overeat, we have almost doubled what they used to eat. 

I just found a new Oxbow supplement "cookie" for Digestive Support (they had a few different kinds), so I'm hoping this will fill them up a little too.

As for the hair, I do think it is typical shedding, but the elder seems to be recovering less, it's growing back really slow or not at all.  Her skin looks fine, not too dry or irritated and she isn't messing with it or picking at herself.
Jen - mommy of Chili (female age 12) and Pepper (male age 6)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 01:32:26 PM »

I hope others who have experienced will comment. I would be curious to know what their weight should be for their size and age and then compare. I weigh mine every morning. He goes into a plastic box and knows the routine well. You might want to do this as well. He doesn't get anything besides hay and pellets in the way of food so his weight is very consistent.

If the skin is not looking red or irritated I wouldn't worry too much. If it's flaky and red then it might be fungus.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 02:13:17 PM »

I have noticed my chinchillas will go through periods of eating more and being more active when the temperature is cooler. Also, when you open a new bag of feed that smells really strong and fresh they will usually eat more.  Like GrayRodent said you don't usually have to worry about overeating.  It is when they stop eating that you need to worry.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up