Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If anyone has advice or knows of this please help.  (Read 950 times)

c4566

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 6
    • View Profile
If anyone has advice or knows of this please help.
« on: September 13, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »

Ive had two chinchillas for about 2 years now. my female chinchilla had kits about 4 months ago. The chins are allowed to run around my room everyday for play time. When i first got the female chinchilla i was told it was okay to catch the chinchilla by the base of the tail. (not jerking her or to pick her up or anything) this didnt seem to be an issue ever. Anyway, i caught one of the kits like that as well for it takes me a long time to catch them. The chinchilla dropped a little piece of his tail off. The actual tale is still there but its like he slid his skin and fur off a part of his tail. It has scabbed over and ive been putting some ointment on it. (clear anti infection stuff)(ive stopped catching them by the tail)  Hes acting normal and eating and all that. I noticed today that his stool is not black/brown. its more of a dark green and not the same shape his stool used to be. I did read that the tail thing was a defense mechanism. so i was just wondering if any of you ever delt with this. thanks in advanced  :)

-C

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: If anyone has advice or knows of this please help.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »

Although you read that chinchillas do not shed their tails as a defense mechanism. They do shed fur though. This  is a serious injury. The pain from the injury can be causing severe stress. This can be fatal. It should be taken to the vet asap.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: If anyone has advice or knows of this please help.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 06:21:53 AM »

A chinchilla tail is just like your spine ( or sort of like your finger).  It is made up of a bunch of little bones.  It is part of the spine and is strong.  That is why it is ok to hold the chinchilla by the base of the tail.  Because it is a bunch of bones it is possible to break the tail.   You can't snatch it.  Just like your finger if you pull it, you can jam it, pop it, and sprain it, or break it. It is not mean to be shed like a lizard. Its not a good idea to grab the tail of a chinchilla that is running around the room.  The tail is just a handle to holding an already still chinchilla.

If you need to catch one you can toss a towel over it to stop it and then grasp the tail.

My guess is that the chinchilla is eating the antibiotic ointment and that is what is changing the stool.  I would suggest a trip to the vet to check on that tail. (also, now that the kits are 4 months old remember that Mom can not be around any sons and Dad can't be around any daughters. Inbreeding in chinchillas is not good)
:)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up