Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Depressed Male Chinchilla  (Read 3429 times)

harmaa521

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Depressed Male Chinchilla
« on: August 21, 2012, 04:13:12 PM »

I have a male chinchilla that is about 3 years old. I had to separate him from the female because they had a baby but it wasn't born alive and I didn't want my female getting pregnant again. He has been crying out to her. It sounds like a high pitched scream. We moved him to where he couldn't see her for a few days and he was doing better but because of the heat we had to put them both where the a/c is and now he can see her and hes crying even more, we moved him last night. I noticed that he hasn't touched his food or hay today. I cant tell if he has touched his water because the water bottle leaks at times. I'm not sure what to do. This has been going on since August 2nd when they lost the baby. My female acts like nothing has happened. She acts like she never even mated with him or has never been around him. I cant move her into another room. I don't want to lose my female Harmaa over the heat and I don't want to lose my male Thumper over depression. If anyone can help me save my male Thumper I would be very thankful! 

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Depressed Male Chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:44:46 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about one day considering that oftentimes chinchillas eat at night when you are not watching. If there is no improvement by the end of tomorrow I would be concerned. If he stops eating altogether hand feeding can help but I don't expect it to get that bad.

I think it would be wise to replace the bottle so you can have a more accurate gauge and more reliable water source for your chin. There is now a significant change in circumstance and environment and your male is going to need a few days to adjust to having his female in the same room and in a separate cage. It may be up to you to make sure he eats and drinks until that happens. Make sure his daily routine stays consistent as possible to minimize stress.

That's all I know to suggest. Perhaps others can comment who have experienced this.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 05:22:06 AM »

Have you tried to put there cages side by side? This way he can't breed her but he can still see her and smell her and feel like he is not alone.  You have a very real concern.  Some males will go into a deep depression when they loose their mate.  I have found that being as close as possible can help.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:00:57 AM »

How long does it usually last?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:07:22 AM »

Would there be any way for you to put them together again?
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 09:02:08 AM »

How long does it usually last?

Depression?  It depends on the chinchilla.  Some chinchillas will come around.  In extreme cases they will starve themselves until they die.  In fatal cases it is usually when a mate dies.  We had it happen with a beautiful black velvet male that was with a female.  She died due to birthing complications.  We tried everything to get the male to thrive from playtime, new toys, and even other chinchillas but he just lost the will to live.  He died about a week later.  Its not uncommon with chinchillas even in same sex pairs.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

harmaa521

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 03:55:34 PM »

I feed him in the morning and wait until the next morning to feed him again. He had the night to eat and he didn’t. If I put the cages side by side he freaks out and lets off this scent that a male lets off. We have noticed he lets it off when he is mad and when Harmaa is in heat. With the cages side by side he tries to charge at us through his cage when we talk to Harmaa. He was the sweetest chinchilla when we got him. After they mated he became extremely mean. We can’t put out hands in that cage if Thumper is in the cage with Harmaa. He will try to bite us or will go after Harmaa for paying attention to us. He is very protective and he will attack her for letting us pet her or talk to her. He has pushed her off the shelf when we have talked to her so he could get there and try to bite us. I don't know what happened to make him like this. I don't think it would be a good idea to put them back together because of how protective he is. Harmaa is very responsive, she knows her name and knows when people are talking to her and she loves it she also loves being held. Thumper isn't like that. If Thumper is in the cage Harmaa won’t be able to get that attention and it makes her sad. Plus we don't want her pregnant again. We don't know if her body can handle babies. The baby she had wasn't fully developed and came out in 3 pieces. I don't know if it was because her body couldn’t do it. She was at her due date. We found out that females can get pregnant while they are pregnant and Thumper kept trying to get her pregnant while she was pregnant and was actually launching himself at her and attacking her while she was already pregnant and I don't want her over bred. I haven't had a chinchilla die from depression before. We had a black velvet female die and we think it was from over breeding so we are scared it’s going to happen again. My dad’s male didn't die from depression of losing his mate. That happened probably 8 years ago. He’s now almost 15 but acts sad a lot. I also have toys in Thumpers cage but he would rather chew on the bars and I can't get him to stop that.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:57:08 PM by harmaa521 »

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 04:52:26 PM »

If Thumper was doing better when he was in a separate room do you think he may be better off in a different home?

harmaa521

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 02:45:31 AM »

We haven't considered that. This is his second home. His first owners had him for 2 1/2 years and we got him at the end of February. With him being mean I don't know if I can get him a new home. After you get him out of the cage hes nice. He doesn't try to bite at all. Its putting your hand in the cage that's the problem. Has anyone else experienced a male becoming mean after mating?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 06:31:32 AM »

That I don't know but I know others who don't have these kinds of problems. It is common for birds though. From what I understand chinchillas can get very territorial when they are bonded with a mate.
It seems to me that the behavioral problems you are describing occur when he can smell and interact with his mate and he is desperately trying to get out to her. I have to wonder if he will settle down and thrive if he is somewhere else. Even temporarily maybe for a couple of months to break this cycle and get him eating again.

harmaa521

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 07:09:27 PM »

When we moved him he was just in the dinning room so he could still smell her. I think its the sight of her. I don't have a place to send him for a little bit to see if he does good. The only person I know that knows how to take care of chinchillas is 125 miles away. Thats kind of far to send a chinchilla that we love seeing everyday. I will consider a new home if that is the only way to make him better.

ohio chinny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »

You said the sight of her seems to bother him more than anything elce? For temporarily, untill you can find somthing better, would it help perhaps, to put a devider between their cages? (cardboard, a blanket, or somthing) I know he would still be able to smell her and all, but sience thats the only room with a/c, maby that could assist a little, out of sight, out of mind?

harmaa521

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 06:11:12 PM »

That's a really good idea! I will try that before I try to find him a new home. Thank You!

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 07:24:23 PM »

How is he doing? Is he still healthy?

harmaa521

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 08:27:26 PM »

I think hes doing better. He still looks healthy to me. I've been keeping a good watch on him. He is calling to Harmaa a lot though and its making her look depressed a little which is making me worried. It seems that they keep going back and forth now with the depression. Hes not happy and eating unless shes sad and not eating. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up