Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What color is my little guy?  (Read 904 times)

Maysie

• Momma of little Zeus
  • Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
What color is my little guy?
« on: September 19, 2012, 04:57:57 PM »

I'm sure people are sick of hearing this question from all the newer owners, but I would really like to know. I picked up Zeus from a local pet store and they sold him to me as a standard. It didn't set right with me, but I wasn't about to let them jack up the price for something they only think they might have. ((As much as I love this pet shop I refuse to be bullied or ripped off because I pointed out something as trivial as color :flames:)) As far as I know a standard chinchilla has a white belly and for the most part is much lighter that Zeus.
 I'd like to know what others might think he could be. His belly is the same color as the rest of his body except in the very center where is is a shade lighter. He's not all black but his gray is very dark as well. The picture I have of him makes him look a bit lighter but you can tell his belly is the same as his body. As the days go by I could swear he's getting darker  ::think:: ... So could anyone solve my mystery?  :blush2:

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: What color is my little guy?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »

Although I might be oversimplifying I'll guess he's a light ebony because where you expect to see white you are seeing gray and it darkens existing black veiling patterns. At the very least he's carrying the ebony gene or something like it but there could be others as well. Color in chins is not trivial from a breeder's perspective. Recognized mutation color patterns are difficult to achieve when it's done right and good mutation breeders are very expensive for the breeder to obtain. It can take many tries to get the desired effect. Those that don't turn out are often sold to pet stores at low prices to cull them out so if you're going to pay extra for color it's always best to go to a breeder.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Maysie

• Momma of little Zeus
  • Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Re: What color is my little guy?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:57:55 PM »

I must say once again, thank you GrayRodent! I love that you always reply! The pet store was selling a female beige for about 280 and Zeus was over a hundred cheaper... I really don't care all that much about the colors, I love him just the same. I picked him for his personality, all chins are adorable.  ::silly:: Both his back and his belly are getting darker, I'm wondering how dark he's going to be when he's done.
 I feel bad for the female though, I went to get more bedding for Zeus today and she's still there all alone. I don't want to have a male/female pair since I'm not experienced enough with an adult chin to even think about having babies. I live in a small apartment so we don't have room for another cage either. I'm thinking about putting word out that she's there. She's such a shy little girl though, I've only seen her out once or twice and she quickly ran away when she saw people coming.

Pages: [1]   Go Up