Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla bonding  (Read 975 times)

tayl0or17

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
Chinchilla bonding
« on: August 10, 2012, 07:57:21 PM »

Hey guys! So I've had my new baby chinchilla since last Monday. He is really starting to warm up to me! He will eat food out of my hand and stand on my arm if i put it in the cage he will come to me when I pat my hand on the door. He has made a lot of progress!

But, when I go to give him a little scratch under the chin or pet his back he freaks and runs away. He will come back 5 seconds later and come sniff me again but as soon as I try to pet him he just doesn't want anything to do with it. Please help is it something I'm doing wrong? Or is it just not the right time for that yet? Any advice guys?!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla bonding
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 08:50:29 PM »

I know there are others with experience in this area. I hope they will give us some input here since I know I will be going through the same process when I get my first chinchilla.

IMO you're doing fine. One week is a pretty short time. You probably noticed a slight change in behavior now that the animal is used to its new place and is going to be more aware of you. Now you just got to go from there. I think it's probably not time yet. Let it get more used to you being there and remember to avoid touching the whiskers when you try again. Those are super sensitive. Maybe a couple more days. But it could take a couple more weeks from what I've seen in others.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:25:36 PM »

It could take months. Patience is key.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:15:57 PM »

Exactly, come back to this thread in a month or 2.  ;)
Chins live a long time, there is no rush.
I just took in a 3 year old rescue 2 weeks ago, I have hardly touched him.
He's in a new cage, new surroundings, with new smells,lots more chins and the hand that fed him has changed, the voice that spoke to him has changed.
I usually don't bother with them util they don't mind my hands and face in their cage, will come for treats and baths, or just way too much time has gone by and they still cower in a corner. Yes that can happen too. I have at least one that still barks and tries to spray me and I have had her 7 years. ::)
One week is way too little to start worrying, give it time and keep up what you are doing.
Believe me it's well worth the wait, you need lots of patients with chinchillas . ::kiss99::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up