Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice urgently needed on lone Chinchilla!  (Read 1817 times)

LollyDolly

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Advice urgently needed on lone Chinchilla!
« on: June 27, 2012, 04:08:28 AM »

Hello all!
So I own a lovely 2 year old male Chinchilla called Henry, I adopted him a year ago from Pets at Home where he was already on his own. Anyway he seems reasonably happy, eating normally (stuffing his face actually), drinking etc. And he has an abundance of toys and chews to keep him entertained, as well as me letting him out every evening so that he can have the free run of the entire room (under supervision of course!)
However I notice that he just sits around a lot, not doing much. Also he very rarely makes any noise, he never chirps or barks etc. Is this normal?
Would you guys introduce another, younger, male Chinchilla? I know all about the introduction process and that they may not get on etc. and I have two very large cages. I mean, how much would he benefit from having a next door neighbor who he can see and communicate with?
So, what would you advise. Get another Chinchilla and try to introduce them? Or get one and keep them as neighbors? Or leave him be as he seems happy enough?

Ps. I work part time and attend university as does my partner so he does spend quite a lot of the day on his own!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Advice urgently needed on lone Chinchilla!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 07:25:51 AM »

Chinchillas are very quiet.  Most of mine hardly ever make a sound.  And during the day it is normal for them to just sit around.  This is their night time so they do a little deep sleep between little cat naps.

Adult chinchillas are set in their ways and are happy alone.  If YOU want another chinchilla and are prepared for the possibility of two cages then go for it.  But don't do it for him.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

LollyDolly

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:52:33 AM »

Ahh so you think that he will be happy enough alone then?
I read somewhere that Chin owners should spend at least 2/3 hours a day interacting with their lone Chin which I just can't do, I juggle University, work, horses, dogs and chickens, all of which are cared for by me! So I really can't afford that time everyday, so what would you recommend me do with him? Just leave him how he is? I spend around 30 mins with him a day, longer if he wants to carry on playing but usually he hops back into his cage after a bit.

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »

Usually a lone chinchilla wont talk much.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 01:06:48 PM »

Mine likes to bark softly in my ear.
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 12:57:08 AM »

A few years ago I decided My Chuppers needed a buddy. We had up until then believed Chuppers was a male . We even had paper work saying Chuppers was a boy. So when I saw an add for a male chinnie needing a home I jumped on the chance .

However soon as we picked up the new chin his bits and chuppers bits did not match. Chuppers is a girl. Well I didnt give up . I placed their cages next to each others and made arrangements to get Meekeemoo( the male) neutered . Which I did and it was not a good experience. With the help of this very chin community I was able to get him through it .

After he was heal up and all better be started with introductions . It was hard . She didnt like him . Then he was terrified of her. I didnt think it was ever going to work . Then one day I looked up and noticed MeeKeeMoo doing the swish swish dance . Chuppers was in heat and he was wooing her.

So I took her and put her in his cage and they have been together ever since . They sometimes have lovers quarrels. Usually its her barking at him and he ends up on one of the shelves by himself looking dejected. Then you look again and they are cuddled together.

Its not impossible but its alot of hard work that might be for naught. I was ready to have 2 cages if I needed to but it ended up good for me . I do not ever suggest getting a chin spaded or neutered either . That was a horrible experience and I am just so happy MeeKeeMoo does not hold it against me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up