Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Escape artist.  (Read 1083 times)

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
Escape artist.
« on: June 16, 2012, 08:44:49 PM »

about ten minutes ago, snickerdoodle once again attempted escape. Due to limited space in our NYC apartment, we set up a metal dog playpen in our living room prior to playing with nickers. He occasionally tries to shove his face sideways through the bars. He I'd this today. I'm just wondering if I handled this appropriately: when he got halfway through, I grabbed him gently (so he wouldn't escape) and when he pulled his face back out, I held him up near my face and said "no!" five times firmly. Then I put him in his cage. He looked so depressed. I am 100% sure I didn't physically hurt him, but I feel terrible that he's sad!!! Although he would probably die if he had managed to escape, whether by eating something toxic or getting stuck somewhere. Any advice?
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

Xterms

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Escape artist.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 05:11:48 AM »

Although they are sensitive, I think one must not step over the limit and allow everything. If you spoil him he'll get used to being permitted to do all he wants. And since you must put him back and somehow show him he's behaved improperly, his sadness is inevitable, but still better than spoiling him and/or letting him chew the room to ruins and exposing his health too.

Snickerdoodlesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 07:10:42 AM »

my dad believes that I accomplished nothing but making him sad. Do you think he knew when he was doing something wrong after being punished?
Snickerdoodle also does a trick that when I say "up" while he's on my right knee, he jumps onto my shoulder. My dad is convinced that the cue has nothing to do with his jump. Thoughts?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 11:01:35 AM »

You did the exact right thing. We do this with our parrot when he bites or is destructive outside his cage. It conditions him to respond to the word "no". If you can repeat your tricks then you can confirm your chin is trained. for entertaing examples go to youtube and look up chinchilla tricks.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Snickerdoodlesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »

Thank you! I hate to make him sad though.
We repeat the trick all the time! We do it every day. Sometimes he ignores me though. But 75% of the time he does it or at least perks up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up