Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to tell when pellets go bad?  (Read 1263 times)

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
how to tell when pellets go bad?
« on: May 25, 2012, 02:06:49 PM »

If they do...
I bought a large quantity of pellets for my chin....20kg for one chin. These will last me months. Do pellets go bad?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: how to tell when pellets go bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 02:21:41 PM »

Pellets can go bad if they get damp. If they smell musty or have any signs of mold or bugs in them you are taking a chance. Otherwise they will gradually loose their nutritional value over time on the shelf. For hay based products three months is about as long as you want to take it.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 03:32:19 PM »

Can someone upload a pic of mold contaminated hay or pellets? 
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:42:15 PM »

Cool. Thank you for the response

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 05:48:24 PM »

When I had horses the hay bales that were on the bottom of the stack would blacken along the bottom and have fuzzy stuff growing underneath. It was almost like a film of black algae. Different molds will have different appearances. Some molds look fuzzy and pale like the kind you find on cheese that gets too old which was common at the bottom of our pelleted hay barrels.

We fed our horses baled and pelleted hay. Pellets were stored in barrels (large plastic trash cans) outside and sometimes rain would get in. The day after the rain the barrels baked in the hot sun for a while and the following morning we would find the pellets were ruined. I would hope that food stored indoors would never get that bad. Before you get a visual sign you are likely to smell it and it's usually a strong damp, musty, foul smelling odor that is obviously not the same as fresh pellets or hay.

If you have insects (roaches and ants were bad on our neighborhood) in it usually you'll notice them at the bottom after you had been feeding to your animals for a while  :doh: which introduces more mold and accelerates the spoiling process.

So anything that doesn't look or smell normal should be discarded. Anything with insects crawling of it should be discarded. It doesn't necessarily mean it's poisonous but there's a risk that toxic mold could be growing inside. Toxic mold can generate substances that can build up in the liver and kidneys and cause serious and permanent damage.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up