Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hows my niblit ^_^  (Read 1472 times)

Skittlez

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
hows my niblit ^_^
« on: May 12, 2012, 11:21:03 PM »

shes doing great no screaming in awhile lol shes still messing with my dog lulu ^_^ she likes to tease her and bark at her to make lulu whine
its funny lol its been really hot in my room so ive had to have a fan on 24/7 on lulu and niblit but they both are good
on my dog lulu im not sure if i have said this but shes a German shepherd/pit bull shes really really sweet!! one of the most sweetest dogs ive had
she like to lay and stare at niblit while i sleep lol when shes not cuddles up to me in my bed lol
niblits teeth are good well tooth lol she only has one in front but her back teeth are great thank goodness
just thought id post to let you know how they are  :)

ohio chinny

• View Profile
Re: hows my niblit ^_^
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:26:10 AM »

that's good, that you are watching the temp. and she is doing well. But i feel it necessary to let you know about the danger your chin is in.

Using a fan to cool your chin isn't enough, fans work by blowing air onto sweat to evaporate it faster, when it evaporates, the heat goes with it, but sense chinchillas don't really sweat, this doesn't work, the only way to cool your chin is to physically lower the temperature of the environment, usually accomplished by adding an air conditioner, or moving your chin (cage and all) to a cooler aria in your house. If this only happens very rarely (like only 1 or 2 days a year, and only by a few degrees) you may be able to cheat a little and add ice, frozen rocks, or something similar to your chin's cage during that time. overheating is one of the leading causes of accidental chin death. please be careful. chins should not be kept in environments over 70 degrees F.

I am NOT saying you are a bad chin owner, because you obviously care about your chin a lot and look toward niblit's safety, those are qualities of a GOOD chin owner. I believe that, like many good owners, you were simply misinformed, and correct information will help. so please have fun with your niblit :) and continue being such a good owner

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 10:52:28 AM »

A portable or window air conditioner may also be an option if you can run the exhaust to the outside.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Skittlez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 10:02:26 PM »

thank you i completely understand! thanks you soo! much i do have frozen water bottles and a cold rock in her cage and at night i leave my window open, i live in a old house she we have no air conditioner in the house and i am looking at window ones but money theses days is tight i have moved her cage in my room closer to my door its cooler there id love to have you in another place but i have cats and the only room for her is in my room :/ it was a deal i had to make with my mom my pets live in my room besides my cat lol he doesnt get along with my dog lulu, i do check on her every day and do everything i can till i get the air conditioner for my window i even add ice to her water just a little im not sure if it helps but i like to think a little it does but when i can my windows open and when that doesnt work i have frozen water bottlers in her cage around her sleeping place and i have my door open till i go to bed at night we have a wall air conditioner in the living room so cool air is running in the house i just have to use my fan to pull in my room ive held her and felt her ears they have been cool and so is her fur

is there any other ways i can check to see if she maybe a little over heated i know if her ears are red thats one way to tell are there others?
im more then open to any ideas and thank you for your info ^_^ you have no idea how happy i am to get it lol shes my fist chin so im still learning after having her for a few years i think its been 2 or 3 now ^_^
Pages: [1]   Go Up