Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Howdy c:  (Read 2179 times)

Nugg

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Howdy c:
« on: May 06, 2012, 03:54:38 PM »

Hello, my name is Ariana and I'm sixteen, I don't currently own a chinchilla, yet, but me and my mom are in the process of finding the perfect breeders to buy from.
I'm having a lot of trouble finding breeders online, that are near me (living in Grants Pass, OR).
But right now I'm in search of a new born male, white chinchilla or a white mosaic.
I kept telling my mom how much I want a pet, it doesn't have to be a dog or cat but at least a small animal. I want to be able to care for something that's going to love me back as much as I love them. c:
But it's not only about that, I also want to feel that I CAN be trusted with a pet and I think a chinchilla would be perfect for me.
I hope I find my dream chinchilla soon.
Also what are good things to look for when looking for a breeder to buy from?

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
Re: Howdy c:
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:28:28 PM »

Well chinchillas are a wonderful choice :)
This site actually has reviews of breeders and its organized by state, although you can look at neighboring states if the breeder isn't too far off.
Make sure you do talk to them about what vet they use, so you have an idea (some vets will say they can do chins but can't).
I hope you find your dream chin soon!! And welcome!  ::silly::

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:47:27 PM »

hi and welcome.. 
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:00:35 AM »

Hello welcome to the site. I looked at our breeder reviews. Looks like the closest one that's been reviewed is in Manteca, CA and has a high rating. It's about 6 hours south of Grant's pass. There is also a chinchilla breeders directory but both listings in Oregon no longer exist. There is a listing in Washington that leads to a site that shows they have a mosaic for sale. Whether or not their site is up to date is anybody's guess. I recommend have a look here: http://www.chinchillaclub.com/breeder/

Locating a vet that does exotic animals (specifically chins) nearby is an important step in preparation. Preferably with emergency care service available. When things go wrong with a chinchilla they can go downhill and die in a matter of days depending on what it is. They are somewhat like birds in that way but with more sensitive digestive systems.

I also wish to have a chinchilla as a pet but I do not have a suitable place to keep one. I hope that my circumstances will change soon. I'd rather have a cat (used to have three of them) but my mom is now severely allergic. I do think they make great pets though if properly raised and cared for.

If you have never owned a pet before you really need to consider the fact that caring for chins in not like caring for cats and dogs. They must be kept on a strict diet and temperature controlled environment to survive. To thrive chins must exist in a peaceful environment free of hazards with a fairly consistent routine. Sometimes it's not obvious what those hazards are. If your heart is set on a chinchilla then I recommend you become a member of Chinchilla Club. There are many valuable articles there to browse.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Nugg

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 12:17:22 PM »

Thank you for the welcome everyone, I found a breeder close by, in California.
I feel like I'm doing good by going with her, she learned at an early age not to buy from backyard breeders and she takes extra precaution before giving away any of her chinchillas.
I have a really good feeling about her, I'm hoping she has some white ones. c:

I also have a very suitable room for a chinchilla, I'm currently staying out in a cottage, near our house, and it seems to keep it's temperature cool and my pets are only in there when I am.
My heart is really set on a chinchilla and I'll take care of him the best I can, I still haven't gotten in touch with a vet yet, but that is my next step.

Thank you for all the advice, it'll come handy to me in the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up