Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chinchilla food  (Read 2247 times)

Marip

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
chinchilla food
« on: March 11, 2012, 04:22:34 PM »

hello

i have a question.....

so my chin she doest eat a lot i have two with the same age one is in a really great weight but the other is thin and i can fell her bondes i dont know what is appening and her poo isnot the best its long and wet i dont know what to do anymore she has 506 gr with like 2 years and the other one has 600+ my question is that someone had the same problem can help me and if there is any baby food for chins like jam ?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:28:12 PM by Marip »

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
Re: chinchilla food
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 06:25:38 PM »

I would take her to the vet if you can feel her bones, something is def wrong!

Marip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 06:29:27 PM »

I would take her to the vet if you can feel her bones, something is def wrong!

yes i know but the problem is here next to me i dont have a exotic vet and to call one is really expensive

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 09:31:40 PM »

i hope this doesnt come out wrong, but no matter how much it costs, if they need to see a vet they need to see a vet. i'm sorry your vet is super expensive, but its important to bring them when they are ill, chins can go downhill very quickly with certain illnesses.  if youu cant afford a vet, maybe youu should adopt her out to someone who can afford health care.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Marip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »

i hope this doesnt come out wrong, but no matter how much it costs, if they need to see a vet they need to see a vet. i'm sorry your vet is super expensive, but its important to bring them when they are ill, chins can go downhill very quickly with certain illnesses.  if youu cant afford a vet, maybe youu should adopt her out to someone who can afford health care.

no off course i need to take her and yes if they really  need they have too but i'm 15 and i dont have money and my parents wont afford so i wanted to try to do without go to the vet cause she is energetic she jusps all of the places but yes i really have to take her .

mojito

• chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 07:07:14 PM »

Well she may cannot eat pellets or solid food, but I'm not sure so try to get your parents to take her to a vet, even a vet that's good with rodents would be better than nothing. I do understand your problem though, owning animals and taking care of them myself. Jean is right ab care, so here's some advice I would take today or very soon, and try to talk to your parents about seeing a vet (I say rodent vet bc it sounds like her teeth may be overgrown, but they can rule that out or probably fix it since chinchillas are rodents.)

Since she cannot eat solids, you will need to try to find (at a pet store or online) Oxbow Critical Care for chinchillas. You can also (if you can't buy Oxbow) get Goats Milk (I found powdered goats milk at discount pet supplies) mixed with water, get a feeding syringe and hand feed them. Also put some Pedialyte unflavored in her water bottle. Go to the site cheekychinchillas.com, she handfed her chinchilla for years and has lots of good advice on it. I hope your chinchilla gets better soon!

Marip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »

Well she may cannot eat pellets or solid food, but I'm not sure so try to get your parents to take her to a vet, even a vet that's good with rodents would be better than nothing. I do understand your problem though, owning animals and taking care of them myself. Jean is right ab care, so here's some advice I would take today or very soon, and try to talk to your parents about seeing a vet (I say rodent vet bc it sounds like her teeth may be overgrown, but they can rule that out or probably fix it since chinchillas are rodents.)

Since she cannot eat solids, you will need to try to find (at a pet store or online) Oxbow Critical Care for chinchillas. You can also (if you can't buy Oxbow) get Goats Milk (I found powdered goats milk at discount pet supplies) mixed with water, get a feeding syringe and hand feed them. Also put some Pedialyte unflavored in her water bottle. Go to the site cheekychinchillas.com, she handfed her chinchilla for years and has lots of good advice on it. I hope your chinchilla gets better soon!

yes i have thought about her teeth overgrown i ll try to take her to a vet

thanks

mojito

• chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 04:38:52 PM »

No problem! Please keep us updated; sending good hopeful vibes your way!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 02:49:08 PM »

Have a look at her front teeth and see if they are even and orange. That's was my first thought too.
There is something wrong with her sweetie, she needs to see a vet of any kind, or you may loose her. :'(
Debbie.nl.ca

Marip

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 04:39:07 PM »

so today i ve finnaly went to a vet the vet said that she appears to be fine she gave her an exterior worming (dont know if its the right word) and vitamines nothing more but the vet said that if she doesn't get better she will give her tranquilizer to her her behind teeths.

mojito

• chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 09:25:43 PM »

Hope your chin improves!

Marip

• View Profile