Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chin won't sleep in his house  (Read 3671 times)

TheNAC

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chin won't sleep in his house
« on: March 30, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »

We have had our chin in his cage for about 3 months but instead of sleeping in his igloo house he sleeps on the steps in the back of the cage.  The steps are also wire which I would assume is not good to sleep on with his feet.  We had a little hay mat under the house so the floor was hay and not wire and he slept there a couple days until he completely destroyed the hay.  Should I get a new house with floor or what or a soft house so he's comfortable?

Marip

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Chin won't sleep in his house
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 02:41:15 PM »

We have had our chin in his cage for about 3 months but instead of sleeping in his igloo house he sleeps on the steps in the back of the cage.  The steps are also wire which I would assume is not good to sleep on with his feet.  We had a little hay mat under the house so the floor was hay and not wire and he slept there a couple days until he completely destroyed the hay.  Should I get a new house with floor or what or a soft house so he's comfortable?
[/quote

you know that chins eat hay right?so that's not a good thing to put on the floor but for them to eat every day and my chins sleep on the shelves too and one sleeps on the wheel sometimes but you can think about buying a hammock cause they just love it .

TheNAC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 03:23:12 PM »

[/quote

you know that chins eat hay right?so that's not a good thing to put on the floor but for them to eat every day and my chins sleep on the shelves too and one sleeps on the wheel sometimes but you can think about buying a hammock cause they just love it .

Sorry for confusion, the mat was one of the dry weed materials.  He also has a hammock on the 3rd floor on the side but he doesn't sleep there he pees which is also confusing cause he never accessed that area before so why would he want to pee in the hammock?

Marip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 06:28:36 PM »

We have had our chin in his cage for about 3 months but instead of sleeping in his igloo house he sleeps on the steps in the back of the cage.  The steps are also wire which I would assume is not good to sleep on with his feet.  We had a little hay mat under the house so the floor was hay and not wire and he slept there a couple days until he completely destroyed the hay.  Should I get a new house with floor or what or a soft house so he's comfortable?
[/quote

god how is your cage? it's like floor just shelves?like a ferret cage?

Sorry for confusion, the mat was one of the dry weed materials.  He also has a hammock on the 3rd floor on the side but he doesn't sleep there he pees which is also confusing cause he never accessed that area before so why would he want to pee in the hammock?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 07:22:38 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless his feet start to show signs of callouses which look like thickening and flaking of the skin on the feet. However wire steps should probably be removed as this can cause a foot fracture depending on how the wires are spaced. Most pet chinchilla cages I've seen have shelves they can jump onto and they will jump to others. Do you have any wooden shelves in the cage? They'll sleep on those too.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 07:29:49 PM »

I have a marble tile on the highest level in my cage, which is where my chins sleep/nap most of the time during the evening or night, and I find them in the igloo during the day.

Marip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 10:23:23 PM »

my chin also sleeps on the litter box that came with another cage without anything on the floor and she loves it .... :::grins::

TheNAC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 11:04:33 PM »

Thank you everyone for the very fast and helpful replies.

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 10:32:19 PM »

You could get him a lava ledge.  I use them with mine. I put them right on the floor of the top balcony and my youngest loves sleeping there.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde
Pages: [1]   Go Up