Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Antics  (Read 8680 times)

Chin_Vinny

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Antics
« on: September 13, 2006, 03:59:42 PM »

i looked around on general chat and didnt see anything similar (maybe i didnt look hard enough?) but id like to know what some of everyones chinchillas do that makes them laugh, could be tricks, playtime habits or just plain cute/funny things they do.

to start off i love when one wall jumps when let out to play (which i assume is pretty common) im not sure if anyone else's do this but mine sometimes just shake their head at random then hop about 5 or 6 feet like a gerbil (with just their back legs) then jump straight up in the air, then stop and look at you. Lastly for the playtime antics i laugh when they jump straight up in the air and land 180 degrees from where they started facing. as for just plain cute things, i like how they sometimes sleep on their sides on the marble with their little feet sprawled out and their tails hanging out of the cage. sorry if that was a little long winded.  :blush2:

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: Chinchilla Antics
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 05:15:06 PM »

My chins used to have wooden ledges that screwed onto the sides of the cages.   There was one that was a little loose and the chins learned that if they jumped on it just so it would make a "sproing" noise and that would get our attention.  They started doing it everytime one of us walked by and would keep doing it over and over until we stopped to pet them and give them a raisin.

Mine also do "synchronated wheel running" which is this very complicated maneuver whereby one is running on the wheel (a flying saucer wheel) then another one jumps on and shoves the first one off and continues running without ever missing a stride!  I should call Cirque du Soleil  ::nod::

Lauren_201

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 08:30:36 PM »

My chins used to have wooden ledges that screwed onto the sides of the cages.   There was one that was a little loose and the chins learned that if they jumped on it just so it would make a "sproing" noise and that would get our attention.  They started doing it everytime one of us walked by and would keep doing it over and over until we stopped to pet them and give them a raisin.

Mine also do "synchronated wheel running" which is this very complicated maneuver whereby one is running on the wheel (a flying saucer wheel) then another one jumps on and shoves the first one off and continues running without ever missing a stride!  I should call Cirque du Soleil  ::nod::

That's so funny! Synchronated wheel running! That made me laugh.  ;D My chin Chloe does something that is not so funny, especially not at 4 am! She does the "alarm call" noise whenever she wants attention, and she will do it until she gets attention, and sometimes she will continue at the top of her lungs until she gets a treat! Isn't that cute. LOL
There is no one "true" way
~ Chinmom to Chloe, Berry, and Jinx. ~

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 12:44:59 AM »

::silly::  I have one that lays on her back, legs straight up in the air ... like a dead cockroach.  If we don't run to her to make sure she is OK ... she will keep the same position, hang her head off the side and screech!  Of course we run to her, she hops downlooking like little "Miss Innocence".

If Bill does not speak to Precious as soon as he comes in the room, she waits till he sets down at the computer and sprays him on top of the head with pee-pee ... she's very accurate within 7 feet.

PeeTunia will spray me every time I walk past her cage if she sees my husband kiss or hug me.  She's jealous.

We have two that back flip over and through their huts.

We have several that will poke their noses through the wire so Bill will play "Get Your Nose" with them.

Another one will sleep curled up ... his tail and bottom on the cage floor, his feet propped up on the cage door and head on his tummy, almost like porcupines do.

They are always finding out new things to do to get our attention ... that's one advantage of having so many!

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 08:47:14 AM »

They are always finding out new things to do to get our attention ... that's one advantage of having so many!

Truer words were never spoken. rofl They are all so different.
Their sleeping positions are an everyday laugh, or rush around here.
I too love the ricochet rabbit maneuvers and the popcorn jumps.

A standard named Jessie pouts if his cage is not by the door.He won't talk to me, let me scratch him or even come out to play if his cage is not where he wants it. ::)
I got a violet named Oliver that rolls over on his shelf when he see us coming.I'll speak to him and he'll keep doing it until his run.
This one also dribbles all over the place when the female in the next cage goes in heat.I have to wash his shelves for the 3-4 days he picks up the scent.
All of them have managed to ruin all zippers in my fleeces.Darn things are plastic, and when I have the chins up, one nip and the zipper doesn't zip anymore. ::tickedoff:: :D
The little darlings, how could ya not love'm ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

Chin_Vinny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 10:07:59 AM »

I'm noticed 2 more things since last post, if im wearing denim jeans/shorts and  i let them run around they tend to try to dig on the denim, like they do with their dust. and for the second antic, the habit of going from zero to balistic in 1-2 seconds. Pip was just looking at me all innocent one day when he was out playing, then turned around and tried to run really fast away, he was on a smooth surface though and didn't get any traction, then made a noise I've never heard before and dashed to the other side of the room.

Lastly, does anyones chins (2 or more in same cage) tend not to notice something till the other one has it? say one of the chins could care less about the water bottle after it has been changed, but once the other starts drinking, they decide thats when they want it.

Summer

• 4everchins
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 10:14:29 AM »

::nod:: Yes some that do that!  ::silly::

Stacy

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • My chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 10:24:32 AM »

Roo has done the running in place before. We get a good laugh out of him when he hits the kitchen floor. I have an island where my sink is kinda in the middle of the room and he will get running so fast when he goes to turn his back legs a going as hard as they can but he is kinda sliding sideways. It is so funny. :D

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 06:18:36 PM »

Those are helarious :2funny:
I have a few that do the dig on my sneakers.
 :DPokie sits on the toes of them, when I'm on the floor and almost rubs himself.
Debbie.nl.ca

Lauren_201

• Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 09:38:02 PM »

Berry is shoe obsessed. He loves the freshly home and sticky from work ones, he will sit on them, dig in them and try to role on them. Its so funny. I haven't been able to figure this obsession out yet. But it keeps me entertained. LOL
There is no one "true" way
~ Chinmom to Chloe, Berry, and Jinx. ~

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 11:22:45 AM »

::silly::Are all of you familiar with the "Swish, Swish Tail Dance"?  It's cute when they do it, and even cuter when you know why they do it, because when you know why, you will also observe the expression on his face and how "cartoon-like" it appears.  Kinda like Snoopy with a long tail.
    It is a mating dance (like an Indian war dance) ... he will do a little hop-hop, then swish his tail from side to side and repeat this several times. 

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Leslie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 07:15:34 AM »

I love when my Ninja sleeps standing on his back feet....he puffs up into a big fat ball of fur that looks bigger side to side than up and down....his little front paws dissapear in his fur so he really does look like a "fur ball".

My other guy TBone sleeps inside his house, standing up....stuffed into the corner like he's in time-out.  He puts his front paws up on the wall and stuffs his head into the corner.  He looks like a sleeping fashion model or something.

You'd think after having these animals for years you would stop being so amazed by their cuteness....but I think they get cuter every day!

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 08:42:20 AM »

Jo Ann,

I have seen the swish-swish tail dance.  It is too funny! I am just waiting for him to say something cheesy like "Hey baby, what's your sign?"   :2funny:  What's even funnier is that the females seem to be wholely unimpressed most of the time.

Kizkitz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 01:32:18 PM »

Hi!  I'm a newbie and have only had chinchillas for 5 months.  One day when I went into their room, I saw Chinchi's feet sticking out of the log and she was on her back.  I almost broke down crying because I thought she had died!!!!  I've caught her several times now sleeping like that.  Is that normal?  It freaks me out everytime I see it!  I have since added a friend with her and they just sleep next to each other now.  They are the perfect pair!  My other 2 girls are "rescues" that I got from a little girl who no longer wanted them.  They are always sleeping with one's head resting on the other.  They are so adorable!
_Kizkitz

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 02:09:33 PM »

Chinchillas sleep in the weirdest positions. Cheech sleeps on a ledge on the top floor of her three storey cage as high as she can get but it has to be at the front of the cage. Then she hangs her head right over and sleeps with her neck right out stretched and her head down, then slowly she slips off. So slowly you can see it happening. I've had to changer her cage around so many times to try and make it so that the fall isn't very far. I think I've finally cracked it...

Chong does the swish swish tail dance and quietly barks at Cheech. They're in separate cages next to each other and she goes right up to his cage and stretches up as far as she can in front of him, then does a little flick and runs off. Poor Chong she's such a tease!

Chong always sits with one of his paws resting on something, like a person might rest their arm on the side of a chair. Cheech bit one of his paws when they first met and after it had healed bit the other hand. he used to hold the injured paw up, way after it had healed which is why I think he always rests one on something now. He's still obsessed with her though...

I love it when they're out. Cheech is obsessed with getting past my barricades and into the 'forbidden areas' like under the bed or behind the PC. She will twist and squeeze herself into the funniest positions trying to get behind the bits of wood. When she can't get any further she backs out, looks upset, then tries again.

Our old bed was falling apart and the headboard was leaning forwards away from the wall. Chong once fell down behind there and couldn't get up, he was struggling, trying to jump or run up the wall, when I looked over all I saw was all his legs flailing and him looking quite bemused. he sulked after I got him out.

And those are just some of their antics. :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up