Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mix bedding?  (Read 1017 times)

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
Mix bedding?
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:47:50 PM »

So when I got my chin about a 1 1/2 months ago, the lady (at the pet store) recommended ECO BEDDING; which is basically recycled paper that is not dusty and safe for chinchillas. I saw only a few reviews on it, and it seemed pretty good so I tried it. I didn't smell any odor the first 2 times I used it and cleaned out the cage (I do it about once a week). I would also clean the cage with Nature's Miracle Cage Cleaner. The next time I cleaned it I noticed it smelled worse, so I then used vinegar to clean out his cage as I thought it was the cleaner. Well I changed out the bedding thursday, and it already smells again. I've smelled his pee during play time (he goes on a towel) and it doesn't smell at all, so I don't think it is him. And the bedding I use now seems to absorb it all, just no odor control. I also heard pine can be bad for their respiratory long term. What about mixing a little bit of pine with the ECO bedding I have? (and how much, a quarter of pine or half and half?)
OR what bedding do you guys recommend? I have a cage with a solid pan at the bottom.

Thanks

Marip

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Mix bedding?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:02:04 AM »

So when I got my chin about a 1 1/2 months ago, the lady (at the pet store) recommended ECO BEDDING; which is basically recycled paper that is not dusty and safe for chinchillas. I saw only a few reviews on it, and it seemed pretty good so I tried it. I didn't smell any odor the first 2 times I used it and cleaned out the cage (I do it about once a week). I would also clean the cage with Nature's Miracle Cage Cleaner. The next time I cleaned it I noticed it smelled worse, so I then used vinegar to clean out his cage as I thought it was the cleaner. Well I changed out the bedding thursday, and it already smells again. I've smelled his pee during play time (he goes on a towel) and it doesn't smell at all, so I don't think it is him. And the bedding I use now seems to absorb it all, just no odor control. I also heard pine can be bad for their respiratory long term. What about mixing a little bit of pine with the ECO bedding I have? (and how much, a quarter of pine or half and half?)
OR what bedding do you guys recommend? I have a cage with a solid pan at the bottom.

Thanks

hi you use that like a litter?

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
Re: Mix bedding?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »

yea its spread out all over the bottom of the cage (no litter pan since he pees in the same general area)
Pages: [1]   Go Up