Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air conditioning and safety  (Read 1802 times)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Air conditioning and safety
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:14:42 PM »

I am contemplating keeping a chinchilla as a pet later this year. We will likely be moving to Huntsville, AL in late spring and I'm not sure how well the central air conditioning is going to work in the hottest part of the summer. Apparently it gets up into the high 90s a couple months out of the year. It may be fine but it may be less than ideal. We're looking at some nice houses so it's not like it's going to be a poor system. It just may not be able to maintain 70 degrees, and may be closer to 80 inside for a few hours a day.

I ran into this in the last house I was at, but it was also a much warmer climate (100-105 in the summer). It was also bad because the windows faced the sun in the evenings. So for the purpose of planning I will assume the worst. (This is a thought experiment in progress)

To provide an added safety margin I was thinking of buying a portable air conditioner that would be kept inside. Has anyone had any experience with portable air conditioners? This would be the kind you don't put in the window but sit on the floor. The exhaust duct runs out the window or into the attic and it also works as a dehumidifier. I know I can find a used one cheap before they are in season for an extra margin of safety. I would find a unit that could produce a 20 degree drop in the room, at least, according to spec. This would also be a nice thing for me since I sleep better when it is cooler at night.

Does anyone do this? If so would it be safe? Or should I be looking to keep a different pet?
Your opinions are appreciated.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Air conditioning and safety
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:08:10 PM »

this is a great question, i  always wondered about them too..
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
Re: Air conditioning and safety
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:15:44 PM »

I have recently purchased the Soleus portable air conditioner from Sears for my chin (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04280086000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4). Although I haven't gotten it yet (it'll be here thursday) it had great reviews everywhere I looked, and Sears is shipping it for free! Its an air-conditioner as well as a dehumidifer; and uses a refrigerant instead of water (or otherwise it would be pointless!) This particular A/C unit can be a standalone, or can go in the window (depending on if you want the water that gets pulled from the air to collect in a tray or ran through a hose outside your window) Most portable air conditioners do use water, which isn't good because while it is cooling down the room, it's also putting moisture in the air which can be just as bad for a chin as hot temperatures. Any portable A/C will do, just look and make sure it is using a refrigerant, and not water. This one was the cheapest I could find that had good reviews. I think that if you really want a chin this would be fine to use and safe as long as you watch out for A/C units that use water. I hope this helps you out! I searched for a good A/C for about a month before I decided on this one.

On a side note; I'm from Huntsville AL and love it there, you will too!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:17:29 PM by mojito »
Pages: [1]   Go Up