Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My cage build please answer my many questions  (Read 4518 times)

Kellers

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
My cage build please answer my many questions
« on: January 02, 2012, 02:48:36 PM »

I started another thread on another forum but didn't get a lot of my why questions answered.
We have sense lost our "goma" in a tragic squishing accident. We miss him and want another
one soon. I am going to get this cage built first.
This is what I'm thinking so far.

with out doors

I wanna use these doors that i built for an old project my model is using them as well.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 03:11:33 PM by Kellers »

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: My cage build please answer my many questions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 03:20:19 PM »

So sorry to hear about your chinchilla.  Your pictures aren't showing up.  Please repost so we can help.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 03:22:54 PM »

Actually when the page reloaded your photos were there.  That will be a nice cage.  The tree in the center would need to be pretty thick to work as a perch.  You may find shelves work better with a few chew sticks for decorations instead.  What are your plans for the inner walls?

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Kellers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:23:24 PM »

What would you guys build on the inside if you could build almost anything no matter how complex or difficult?

I want the gaps between the bars to be as big as possible sense the rod i wanna use is 1/4".  

Kellers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 03:27:09 PM »

sorry i was adjusting pic's. That tree is an exsisting model on google sketchup. But id love a tree in there for looks. I have no idea on the inside and am completely open to sugestions.

I've read people using manzinita branches, Is that the same manzanitia that grows wild here in the south west?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-nHfKb-NGZ7w/TvkZn4EnC0I/AAAAAAAALG0/3VZJO0V1ESk/111226_Arctostaphylos-patula_23_thumb%25255B3%25255D.jpg
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 03:31:00 PM by Kellers »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 03:39:04 PM »

You might not want to use spacing any more than 1" between bars. I am slightly concerned about the height as chinchillas can fall and injure themselves if they manage to climb to the top. Could you provide a link to the previous post with your questions? I am planning on building a cage myself and I am constantly looking for ways to make it as safe as possible. Generally chinchilla cages are low and wide so the chin can run around. What are the general dimensions?

You mentioned you want to use the doors in the photograph but they look flat to me where the cage is not. Are you planning on building new frames?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 03:39:16 PM »

I built a cage into a small closet in my house.  We lined the walls with tile board and used untreated pine for the shelves.  We had an old wooden screen door that fit perfectly.  My hubby cut it in half.  In the top we replaced the screen with 1/2 x 1/2 inch wire.  In the bottom he replaced the screen with thin wooden board.

The shavings set lower than the top doors much the way your design looks.  We had to line the inside of the door with metal flashing to keep the chinchilla from chewing.

I'm not familiar with manzanitia myself other than seeing it in the bird sections of pet stores.  The ones I saw were much too small for chinchilla perches.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 03:43:05 PM »

Chinchillas are actually great jumpers and can jump 7 feet straight up.  They are also a lot like cats in that they land on their feet unless the hit something on the way down.  That is why shelves along the walls with an open middle is the safest bet.  If you have baby chinchillas (breeding chinchillas) you want no height in the cage.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »

7 feet? That's creepy! I would love see that. Can they jump on your shoulder from the floor?

When building a cage what would you say is the most important detail to consider for making it safe?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Kellers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 04:02:27 PM »

its 41.5" wide x24" x 60.5 in side cage area dimensions. the bottom im thinking will be a drawer that pulls out.

Is there anyone that really knows the nature of woods. I have been so puzzled by the standard online answers for what's chinchilla safe. kiln dried pine has a gummy pitch(oil) the same as not kiln dried. It is acidic and seems like it would be hard on chins. Its left me wondering if someone said it was safe and due to lack of info people have just took it as gospel.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 04:33:11 PM »

When people refer to kiln dried they are talking about shavings.  These have much less odor than regular pine and therefore is considered safer for breathing.  This is not talking about branches.  It is suggested to "cook" branches in the oven on lower temps to remove possible mites and parasites.  Fruit trees are suggested because they are safe and don't have the sap that pine has.

Chris, a chinchilla could jump onto your shoulder.  I am 5'4 and had a chinchilla jump completely over me one day while I was trying to catch it!!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Kellers

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »

thank you....
this is what size it is compared to room and i put a guy in there my size 5'9"

Kellers

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 05:05:14 PM »

You mentioned you want to use the doors in the photograph but they look flat to me where the cage is not. Are you planning on building new frames?

it is flat I have some i will remake and use the panels i have. the shape if I can remember my geometry would be half of a decagon "?10 sided polygon?"

these are the bars i wanna use. I think the mesh will be too shiny for the overall look.

http://www.indital.com/product/246707/600%252F1/_/Bar_Hammered_Rnd_14%22_Dia_6Mm_118%22L_%2814Tb%29

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 06:22:53 PM »

So you want only vertical bars rather than wire?  Will you be buying a fully grown chinchilla or one just weaned?  If you are buying an adult you could get away with 2 inch spacing but if you are buying a kit (which is best for bonding) you will need 1/2 inch spacing.  the 1/2 x 1/2 inch wire mesh we bought wasn't shiny.  You can also spray paint it.  I have used the generic Wal-Mart spray paint for over 10 years on my cages with no problems.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Kellers

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »

2" really sweet what if i made bars at 2 and bought the  mesh for when they are younger  i could make a removable screen for babies
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up