Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Signs that Cinsi is Due  (Read 5562 times)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Signs that Cinsi is Due
« on: September 05, 2006, 10:02:27 AM »

Sweetnessheart
   Re: Pictures of your chinchilla rooms
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 02:31:00 PM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jo Ann,
Cinsi is one of the standards I got from Mr. Shoots last year at the Rock Hill show.  She is approximately 1 and 1/2 years old and her mate Toby, tan, is one of the first chinchillas I got from Jamie.  He is 3 years old.  This will be their first litter.  I don't know when they actually mated because I didn't see a mating plug or really have any idea that they even got along.  I never saw them in the same cage together.  He was always in the run looking down at her like she scared him to death.  Now that I have them seperated and he can't get into the run any longer.  He sits and cries when I am cleaning the cages wanting to get to Cinsi.  The other day I let them sniff noses and they just kissed and kissed making little sweet sounds at each other.  It is just a waiting game around here.  I placed Toby in the runs back in May. 

Report to moderator    204.116.240.234 (?) 

Jo Ann
Global Moderator

Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
   Re: Pictures of your chinchilla rooms
« Reply #38 on: Today at 10:34:32 AM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Sweetnessheart on Yesterday at 02:31:00 PM
Cinsi is...standard...from Mr. Shoots last year at the Rock Hill show...is...1 and 1/2 years old and her mate Toby, tan, is...from Jamie...is 3 years old.  This will be their first litter.

It being their first litter, will make it a little easier.
The teats will elongate and become pinker and a small area of fur will fall away around them. Usually they are almost impossible to find, but will be obvious when you run your fingers from the arm pits downward to the hind legs, during the last 10 days to 2 weeks on a first time mom. 
Usually the first time you feel the kits move (if you have checked daily), it will be about 2 weeks from that day that she will deliver ... if it is 1 or 2 kits, if it is 3 or more kits, you will often feel them move before the two week period.
 She should eat more the last few days and during the last 12 to 24 hours, they normally increase their water intake by 50 to 100%. 
Normally, in the beginning, they will 'flatten out' on the bottom of the cage and show a more shallow breathing than normal. 
As it progresses, you will usually see them do what almost looks like an exercise session of stretching and pushing against the hut, wall or wire of the cage ... here she is trying to help get them into position to deliver. 
You should also notice her cleaning herself almost constantly. 
Most kits are delivered with the mom in the standing position.  If you can see the contractions and she starts laying on her side, please contact your vet a.s.a.p. ... there may be a problem, this is NOT the normal position chinchilla moms are in to deliver their kits.   OR if she does not deliver with in 4 or 5 hours, you may want to contact the vet.  OR if you see any blood and she does not deliver within a short period of time, contact your vet.

"I don't know when they actually mated because I didn't see a mating plug or really have any idea that they even got along.  I never saw them in the same cage together." 

It only take one time and only 10 to 15 seconds. Out of all the litters that have been born here, I've only seen one mating plug.

He was always in the run looking down at her like she scared him to death.
He probably tried before she was ready and she beat him up. 

Now that I have them separated and he can't get into the run any longer.  He sits and cries when I am cleaning the cages wanting to get to Cinsi.  The other day I let them sniff noses and they just kissed and kissed making little sweet sounds at each other.
   He was finally patient and won her over ... they miss not getting to cuddle.  If you have the door that closes off the run so he can not get to her, it might calm both of them if they can see and smell, but not get into the same cage.

It is just a waiting game around here
 Watch for the increase in water intake and the other signs of labor I mentioned.  Keep us posted!

::wave::
Jo Ann 

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Signs that Cinsi is Due
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 02:31:58 PM »

Usually the first time you feel the kits move (if you have checked daily), it will be about 2 weeks from that day that she will deliver ... if it is 1 or 2 kits, if it is 3 or more kits, you will often feel them move before the two week period.
Oh geez Jo Ann don't tell me that. :-\
I just had a female go in heat 6 weeks after she delivered, and needless to say he was in with her and the kits. I had 2 go in heat at 6 weeks, I caught the second as I was watching for it. Only had 2 deliver this season.
The first pair he got her, I found the plug and she is due Sept 15.
I was shocked and took him out for a few days because I could feel the kits on Aug. 15th. I thought she may have been closer but I was there and assisted in her last delivery,and took the male out. I was still worried so I took him out and watched her for a few days and put him back.
Jamie's advise of taking the male out for the full 8 weeks still sits in the back of my mind, more so now.
On the going into heat earlier than 8 weeks after birth subject, would the sun play a roll?
It is being said that our summer was at least 2 weeks early this year, and then stopped 2 weeks early. It's playing a roll in the crops. Would it play a roll in the chins going into heat early if they were getting extra daylight earlier?????? Make any sense?
Or why would both go into heat 6 weeks after they gave birth?
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 04:44:40 PM »

::silly::Hi Debbie,

Chinchillas, as human females often do, may not be 'regular' and can very in their cycles. The best way to know for sure your female is or is not in season is to check her out, almost on a daily schedule between the 6 to 8 week period of time after she gives birth.   ::(:Down::  Some people will count starting the day she gave birth and some count after the 10th day from when she gave birth. 

It is my understanding that a female can go into season as soon as the kits are born or up to 3 days after the kits are born ... their cycle can run 5 to 8 days (again according to who you talk to), so that would give you the variation of time.  Their general health can also be a factor.  It's best to just set a calendar for each female and mark it.   ::)

A female in season will have a clear gooey discharge and if you check closely, you can see what looks like a tiny spot of blood.  She will also appear slightly swollen.  Another sigh is that the females normally clean themselves constantly during this time, as they do just before, during and after delivery.

The males are often caught doing the "Swish, Swish Tail Dance".  This courting ritual usually starts just before the female is in season ... when she is not yet ready ... that's why the males often get beaten-up by the females ... they get a bit over enthusiastic to early.   :blush2:

As for the sun's effect, I think it has more to do with the position of the sun and the moon, due to the tilting of the axis, which affects gravity and all, that might have an effect on them.  The changing seasons have an effect of sorts on everything that is in nature.

::wave::
Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 05:35:07 PM »

Thanks Jo Ann,
 Curious too see when the one I saved from getting pregnant will go into heat again. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 08:34:36 PM »

Well...we are still waiting on Cinsi to have her babies.  I thought sure the full moon would bring them on!  Jim (my hubby) just says that she has gas!   Men know!!
I know that she is waiting to have her kits when I go out of town...which will be on the 28th.
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 11:04:48 AM »

::silly::Check out the section on new births ... Cinsi delivered quads!

::howdythere::
Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1]   Go Up