Chinchillas > Health

drooling chinchilla

(1/4) > >>

Rose:
Ok guys,  I'm not sure what to do.  Mortamer was drooling quite a bit.  Which he has in the past and we took him to the vets to get his teeth shaved.  No problem he was fine in no time.  So, we took him to the vet and he's still not better.  Still drooling and I can tell he's lost a lot of weight.   I'm not quite sure what to do.  We made another appointment but that isn't until MOnday.  Until then, we've put himon a diet of plain yogurt, ground up pellets, and ground oatmeal, all mixed together.  He seems to enjoy that as much as he can.  I really want him to put back on the weight.  I just hate to see him like this.  His stool is fine, although within the last day or so they seem smaller than normal.   Maybe because he's not eating?  Any ideas on what may be wrong and what we can do would be very  helpful!  Thank you
Rose and MOrt

Jo Ann:
::silly:: Hi Rose,
   Sounds like more tooth problems to me.  :-[
   Chinchilla's teeth grow 1/4 to 1/2 inch per month.  If you have had them shaved/trimmed in the past, you will probably have to continue to do so ... how often depends on how bad it is.  :(
    Was it the front teeth or the back teeth that were shaved?
    I have only had to have one chin have it's teeth trimmed ... it's an every other week thing with him.  "Toofee"  was born with no upper front teeth.  For him to be able to eat, his teeth have to be continuously trimmed on a regular basis. 
    It is very easy for their weight to drop when their teeth are bothering them.  Good luck ... keep us posted!

::wave::
Jo Ann

chinclub:
Hi Rose,
Has your vet taken x-rays recently?  A common problem with malocclusion is that the roots of the teeth can grow too long. If the filing are no longer working you should request x-rays just too see... If you just got your chinchilla back from a filing and he isn't doing well it could also be that a tooth was filed too short.  This would cause major pain and the chinchilla would continue to drool and not eat.  One last thing I can think of right off is a splinter.  We had a chinchilla splinter her front tooth once.  From the front she looked fine but if you turn her to the side and look into her mouth you could see a piece of her front tooth was broken off and sticking into her mouth.  We were able to snip that piece of tooth off and she was just fine.

Unfortunately without seeing your chinchilla we can only guess but hopefully something will help you figure out the problem.  ::shrug::

Rose:
Wow, I had no idea that having they're teeth shaved to short could be a problem.  I"ma little upset because I found a vet who was close to home that I could take him too.  When I called to ask about the drooling he suggested that I take him back to the original.   That kind of irritated me but at least he was honest.  If he did shave Morts teeth to much, then his teeth should grow back just fine right?  I'll have to let you know what they say on Monday, early morning for me!  Thanks for the advice.

chinclub:
Our experience was years ago with a horrible vet.  When the chinchilla can back its teeth were ground down so far they were bleeding.  My guess is my vet exposed the pulp of the teeth.  She was in so much pain!  Hopefully that is not the case with yours.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version