Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minimum temperature  (Read 1781 times)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Minimum temperature
« on: December 13, 2011, 05:52:47 PM »

Hiya,

I haven't been around in quite a while. I know chinnies aren't good with temperatures over 21 degrees Celsius and I have an air con for them in the summer. But this winter it's been getting really cold and our heating is pretty much non existant. I have a portable heater and I've been moving it from room to room to keep the house as warm as I can. We're in a terraced house so benefit from our neighbours heating on either side as well. ::)
I think I've become accustomed to it. I thought I was a little chilly, not too bad though, and then I realised I could see my breath! In the house! The chinnies had the heater in their room at this point.

So what do you think would be the lowest temperature they would be comfortable at? I can get a thermometer and make sure they're okay. There are four of them so they always have a big ball of chinnies for extra heat and lots of hay in their box too. I have a hammy in their room too and I don't want him to go into hibernation either!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Minimum temperature
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 08:03:53 PM »

We use minimal heat in our building.  It regularly gets down to around 45 degrees Fahrenheit  (which I believe is about 7.22 degrees Celsius).   I have had many new babies born with no problems in that temperature. 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 08:08:44 PM »

We use minimal heat in our building.  It regularly gets down to around 45 degrees Fahrenheit  (which I believe is about 7.22 degrees Celsius).   I have had many new babies born with no problems in that temperature. 

That is really good to know. :::grins::
It's not below zero yet outside so must be much warmer than 7 degrees inside.
Thank you.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 06:54:38 AM »

::silly::  You can also buy animal heating pads ... they go under the metal pan and stay at a low constant temperature as not to over heat the chins. 

If not that ... a wooden hut, or even a cardboard box, fairly well enclosed will also help them hold their body temperature in a confined area. 

Some people will place fleece in cages, but beware ... lots of laundry to keep it clean.

Lots of hay, as long as it stays clean and fresh, is nice and warm for chinnies.  Do keep in mind, once the hay is urinated on or gets wet from water, it can mold quickly.  Keep a close eye on the hay and change it out about every other day.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »

::silly::  You can also buy animal heating pads ... they go under the metal pan and stay at a low constant temperature as not to over heat the chins. 

If not that ... a wooden hut, or even a cardboard box, fairly well enclosed will also help them hold their body temperature in a confined area. 

Some people will place fleece in cages, but beware ... lots of laundry to keep it clean.

Lots of hay, as long as it stays clean and fresh, is nice and warm for chinnies.  Do keep in mind, once the hay is urinated on or gets wet from water, it can mold quickly.  Keep a close eye on the hay and change it out about every other day.

::wave::  Jo Ann

Thanks. :)
They have a big wooden hut I built for them and have been filling it with hay. They mostly sleep on top of it though. ;D
I don't know if you've ever heard of snugglesafe heat pads? They are microwaveable and animal safe but I still wouldn't trust chinny teeth around them... I actually use fleeces for my rabbits so I might try that for them as well. Thanks.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 11:03:46 AM »

Would it be acceptable to use straw instead of hay? It might not mold as quickly and insulate better because it is thicker than hay.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up