Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Chinchilla. :)  (Read 1232 times)

mbaker1238

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New Chinchilla. :)
« on: November 01, 2011, 04:55:51 PM »

As some of you know, I recently had to put down one of my two chins due to malo. As a result i noticed my other chin, Maisey seemed very lonely. So I did my research and ended up getting another chin from a breeder. she's a cute little girl, very petite, her name is trudy. she seems very shy and skittish, any tips on how to gain trust? and how to make her feel comfortable? also tips on introducing her to my maisey? right now they each have their own quality cage chin mansion and i have the connecter inbetween with the divider in. Maisey is a very dominant chin and trudy seems, like i said, very shy. Any info appreciated!

Morgan

Chinchillalove4

• View Profile
Re: New Chinchilla. :)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:13:15 PM »

I would suggest letting them fence fight. Put the cages really close together.. the divider is good. once they have noticed each other and start to investigate you can try to get them out together or put them in one anothers cage. this must be done under great supervision. Iwould recomend putting them in the new ones cage since the other is dominant. If you dont want to do this play time together is your best bet. it may take time for them to not be aggressive towards eachother it just depends on their personalities.

as for bonding. try just sticking your hand in the cage and letting her sniff it. or have a treat or something she would be interested in. talk to her and eventually you can try and pick her up. be very aware of their noises and body language.

good luck and i hope this helps

ive had my 4 babies for over a month and its still some time before i can put the one in with the two that live together. then again they are all males and quite pissy sometimes.

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:04:25 PM »

huge improvement tonight...trudy started jumping onto my hands, and allowed me to hold her and take her out of the cage :) wow, only been one day! so excited.

As for maisey and trudy together, i did the introduction during play time and under alot of supervision. and maisey automatically went after trudy. couldnt tell if it was playing or maisey trying to assert herself. any signs as to aggression vs. playing?

Chinchillalove4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 10:21:50 PM »

well my boys will mount each other trying to show dominance. im not sure how girls will react all i know is none of mine have bitten eachother. its agresstion if they make noises or freak out. if my boys are calm then i usually leave them be
Pages: [1]   Go Up