Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to buy a new cage  (Read 1316 times)

LeaJo22

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Trying to buy a new cage
« on: October 23, 2011, 10:13:21 PM »

Ok so i've been looking for a new cage for my chin and i've been looking at more sites. I found this cage from quality cages and it has wooden shelves. Would this be a good cage? Also my question is do i have to clean the shelves or replace them at all? And, could i fit one of the flying saucer wheels in there?
Thanks!

http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=129_142_153&products_id=627

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Trying to buy a new cage
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 05:05:56 AM »

I used to have that cage.  I love wooden shelves.  I recommend replacing shelves with wood no matter type of cage you get.  Just keep some sand paper on hand and that will easily keep the shelves looking nice.  Eventually you will need to replace them but you can take the measurements to home depot or Lowes and they will cut untreated pine for you if you can't do it yourself. (also the company sells replacement shelves but I think its cheaper to go to your local store.

My only complaint about that cage is that the pan is very shallow. I had to put rabbit urine guards around the sides of the cage to keep the pine shavings in.  I got my guards from our local farm supply store.  You chould also use strips of plexiglass, cardboard (although your chinchilla will keep tearing that up) ect.  If you don't wrap something around the bottom few inches of the cage you will have very little shavings in the cage each morning.

I have never used the flying saucer wheel but I think you could fit it in there.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

LeaJo22

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to buy a new cage
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 08:57:28 AM »

Thanks so much for the advice! I'll make sure to put something around the bottom
Pages: [1]   Go Up