Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Murrys different since she gave birth.  (Read 1950 times)

SamiB24

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Murrys different since she gave birth.
« on: September 18, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »

So murry my momma chinchi is eating her hey but not her pellets. She'll also eat a rasin maybe once a day and a piece of papaya but other then that shes not eating much and shes nursing. Is she gonna go back to eating normal soon? Also since the day after she had modi shes been abnormaly calm like i can fully pet her from head to tail and shes never let me do that shes always run away before i could get past her head 0.o
Note that normaly murry is a little crack head about treats, loves her pellets and doesnt like to be touch unless its a pet on the forhead or a scratch under the chin. Shes one of the chinchis that likes to pee at you if shes annoyed lol

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Murrys different since she gave birth.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 04:41:04 PM »

Did she start spraying urine after she became pregnant, or has she done it all along?
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

Lori Ramsey Earle

• Appreciation points: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:59:36 PM »

Check her over carefully and make sure she doesn't have mastitis(infection of the mammary glands) This could be making her feel sick, and needs to treated promptly.One other idea is to listen to her stomach as well and see if it sounds gurgly, which could indicate tummy problems(ie gas, which you could treat yourself with infant simethicone)
Usually new moms have a good appetite, and appreciate extra treats when they're nursing. Any chance that the batch of pellets you have could be off?
Lori

SamiB24

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 08:45:34 PM »

Murry figures out how to spray urine when she was about 10 months old.
Checked her out, cant see any signs of infection, She was eating some of her pelletes when i was in there on my desktop so im hoping she'll eat more. She did get excited when my friend stopped by because he always open the cage and lets her take her own rasin out of the container. And this is a new batch of pellets. She was at the bottom of another bag the day modi was born and she didnt look like shed eaten any of it so i switched htem out.

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 09:18:49 PM »

Hmm I'm not sure what it could be.  I'm raising my first litter now so I'm still in the dark about post partum chins.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

SamiB24

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 12:43:36 AM »

Its defenitly different from hamsters or lizards thats for sure =o i knew it would be and i did alot of reading before i even got murrys mate but still all the reading in the world cant is nothing compaired actualy talking to someone that raised chinchillas

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 10:38:06 AM »

i think it's fairly normal. my fluff was awfully keen on being picked up when she was pregnant, normally absolutely hates it! as for food, i'd be tempted to add some alfalfa hay and rolled oats while she's nursing. if she doesn't want pellets, she doesn't want pellets. is her poo ok?

SamiB24

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 04:58:15 PM »

Ill try the rolled oats tonight, i keep them in the house for making no bake cookies lol yeah her poos been normal =o ever since the incident with the lava ledge i keep a very close eye on it.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:03:50 AM »

if her poos ok and she's pooping out the normal amount, i wouldn't worry. she's probably choosing what she needs to eat right now! oats - a teaspoon twice a week (or divide the amount between 7 days if you want to give it every day - i do with mae). alfalfa hay would be good - can you get this? - as this is what the majority of pellets are based on and it's got higher amount of calcium in it than timothy which she needs right now. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up