Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This person hasn't done their research  (Read 1638 times)

danielle

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
This person hasn't done their research
« on: July 13, 2011, 12:21:50 PM »

Removed link

I'm really worried that a potential buyer won't do their research (as the current owner obviously hasn't) and will think its ok to give the chin water bathes all the time! I've read that its ok as long as you dry them thouroughly but its not something that should be done regularly right?

ADDED NOTE: I emailed the person and suggested she remove the water bath photos in case a buyer got the wrong idea. She let me know that it was a one time only thing because the chin came from a very dirty home when she got it. She has since removed the pictures. I'm glad to hear she had done her research before deciding to use a water bath.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:12:11 PM by danielle »

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: This person hasn't done their research
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 01:39:35 PM »

I would NEVER give any of my chins a water bath for fear of bacterial growth as their furr is so thick!  ::scaredspeachless:: Besides, there is NO need for that with their dust bath. I am not saying anything bad if someone else does but I would not recommend..it really is NOT necessary. I have never read anywhere where a water bath is recommended nor have I ever known anyone to do so! ::silly:: :::(((
I would be interested at seeing what the very capable breeders on this sight have to say about this!

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:07:28 AM »

Great Job!! Definitely was giving the wrong idea to potential new chin owner!  :doh:

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 03:57:15 PM »

While it isn't a good idea, if done PROPERLY it isn't going to give any real problems.  The biggest fear with getting a chinchilla wet it that the body heat can then be lost as a fast rate and the chinchilla can get chilled.  That is why you might have read to wrap your chinchilla in a towel if it gets soaked.  MANY chinchillas have taken a sudden swim in a toilet with no lasting affects. (gotta close those lids at play time!  :D )
Chinchilla fur dries just the same as other animal's.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »

Yes I had one take a dunk in the toilet. Also had one with bad diareah that I bathed. But that was years ago. My chins never get wet. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:16:21 PM »

One of my chins wrestles with his water bottle when he wants attention. He gets his chest soaked. I Blot the wet spot with a tissue, being careful not to let him eat it.  When he was younger, I had to use my mom's hair dryer on low to dry him.  I would not recommend doing that unless they are ok with the sound, and only in extreme circumstances.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde
Pages: [1]   Go Up