Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playtime  (Read 1451 times)

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
Playtime
« on: June 22, 2011, 05:19:03 AM »

I was just wondering about other people's playtimes. How long do you let your chinchillas out for? Where do you find is the best place to let them play? Do they do anything particularly funny during playtime? Do they drive you bonkers chewing everything?!

I generally let mine out for about 20 mins a night, sometimes more if they're enjoying it but usually 20 minutes seems to be enough for them as they get a bit quiet after that and don't seem too interested in running or jumping anymore. There's so much for them to jump on, they get very busy for those 20 minutes!
I let them out in the bathroom and my hall. There are wooden presses and skirting boards that they sometimes start to chew but a gentle push encourages them to move along and my woodwork is left largely intact. I do wish there was something like aluminium foil tape or some non chewable adhesive covering I could use to cover the wood but I've looked in all my local hardware shops and there doesn't seem to be anything like that.
They all love doing laps of the bath and also skidding along the slippery tiles on the floor. We have a mirror over out sink and Annie loves to look at herself in it. She probably thinks it's another chinchilla! Pixie tries to chew our clothes and hair and fingers and she loves chasing my socks in circles trying to chew them! She's also mad for doing fast laps of the bathroom squeaking really loud! Buddy is the best at jumping. He can cover some unbelievable distances and loves bouncing off the doors.

Looking forward to hearing about others playtimes.  :)

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Playtime
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 04:03:25 PM »

hi, omg CHEW,, yes, they  never tire of that.. ugh!!!  i wish they had little chinchilla muzzles..lol..

sometimes i use the bathroom, of course toilet seat down and room chin proofed, sometimes i use the kitchen, same thing--chin proofed, but most of the time, i just let them out in their bedroom.  i have one of those willow tunnels and a maze, then there are other things for them to jump on, and go under..

they should be out an hour a day, but with my website, i have to admit, i have been a bad chin mommy, just dont' tell anyone okay... i don't get to let them out an hour a day anymore..  :(
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »

I usually do 30 minutes at a time as they seem to get overheated because they get so excited. And, I must confess as Jean did...I cannot do it everyday and I am attempting to correct that.

Our playtime is in the bathroom chin proofed also..it is easy to chin prrof that room, the floors are marble so cooler and there are NO wires to worry about. I have a bunch of wicker baskets that a friend gave me and they jump in and out of those and use me as a jungle gym piece...which is funny! 

NicolafromNZ

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 04:07:29 AM »

When I had only 1 chinchilla (Enchilada). I would let him out every day for about 30min-1hr as he is easy to catch, now because I have 2, they are such trouble makers and i have so much trouble trying to catch them, i let them out once a week (really bad chin mum i know). Our chins play in my bedroom, i chin proof it, and ive started letting them out into the hallway and bathroom, they love exploring my bedroom lol and i have a big dust bath (similar to a kitty litter tray) where they get sooo excited and run around then jump into the dust and roll around lol its sooo cute!

iwantchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 02:14:12 AM »

Well I don't have one yet but when I do (if I end up getting one) I plan on using the hallway, laundry and bathroom. Our lounge isn't the best choice, too many things that might be dangerous to them, even when it's chin-proofed. So yeah, probably just that.
A Chinchilla is capable of stealing one's heart.
Pages: [1]   Go Up