Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not drinking enough water?  (Read 1544 times)

Heather

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Not drinking enough water?
« on: June 01, 2011, 03:54:38 AM »

Hi there! One of my chins, Toby, seems to go through phases of drinking very little, which he's doing at the moment. He's peeing and pooping ok, but his water hardly goes down at all. It's not the bottle as I swapped his and his brother's, and it hasn't made a difference. He won't even take water via a syringe unless it's mixed with pineapple juice! It's not his teeth as he had an xray a couple of months ago and they are fine. He seems ok but I worry that he'll get dehydrated. He gets 1ml pineapple juice per day under vet's instructions as he has a tendency towards small poo which occurs even when he is drinking water, but I'm worried that this isn't enough liquid to sustain him. His brother Sammy drinks loads more than him.

Thanks in advance!

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Not drinking enough water?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 07:55:50 AM »

i think its normal that they don't always drink a lot every day......

if the poop isn't dry, i think he is fine.. someone pls correct me if i'm wrong.

my boys don't drink enough, chinny used to, but not anymore.. so every few days i give him alittle baby squash or some other type of safe baby food, forget the type at the moment, i can't stand it, it worries me so much, i don't know how to make them drink. i can tell they don't have enough water in them because their poops are dry.. and sometimes i see them pushing to poo..
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Not drinking enough water?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 10:19:30 AM »

they don't drink much and it does vary from chin to chin. some seem to drink a lot compared to others, some don't even appear to drink at all (but they do!)

they are desert animals and are very good at retaining water, this is possibly why he drinks more on some days and less at other times.

i would not worry. if he's eating, pooping and behaving as usual, i would not try to force feed him water.

as for his dry poos.. hmm! is he a pellet eater more than he is a hay eater?
Pages: [1]   Go Up