Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crazy 48 hours  (Read 1153 times)

Sixpoint0db

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Crazy 48 hours
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:59:48 AM »

So Sunday I noticed my 2.5 half year chin was acting weird so I put him in a cage by himself. He wasn't eating or pooping so I decided to give him yogurt pelts and put a little vegetable oil on his food thinking of an obstruction. The next morning I saw he had something hanging from his rear end which I thought was a prolapsed rectum. I rushed him to my vet to see his doctor. In the waiting room this object went from about 1 inch to 5 inches and was wet and bloody. They rushed him into the ER. A few minutes later they come back saying he was a she and she gave birth. At this point I'm excited and releived that SHE is now ok. A few minutes later they said the little one died only a few minutes after giving birth, now I'm heartbroken. They preformed an X- ray and a physical exam, cleaned up my chin up and said everything will be ok and sent me on my way with meds. The rest of the day she slept during the day and barely ate. I woke up this morning and found out that she had passed sometime in her sleep. Her mate is very depressed now and Now he isnt eating either. It's been a rough 48 hours and I'm devastated. The well respected Vet charged me $250 for emergancy visit, and meds and within 24 she passed. My question is if they are responsible for her passing? I don't want to give the name of the vet but I will say they were polite, helpful, educated, and very nice.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Crazy 48 hours
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 11:09:32 AM »

I am so sorry for your loss.  

Delivery is pretty quick for chinchillas. In my herd I don't notice much of a change the day before delivery, other than some girls will drain their water bottle just before.  Once labor starts you may notice stretching, panting, and an overall uncomfortable chinchilla.  The delivery is ppretty fast.

Since your chinchilla seemed to labor for over 24 hours and the baby was hanging out for such a long time there was obviously a serious problem.  I'm really surprised that the baby was born alive at all.  My point is that there is no way to know what happened internally.  That was a lot of stress for her to handle (bad labor, vet visit, death of baby, ect)  Chinchillas have died from shock due to stress.  So, most likely it was a direct result of the problem delivery and not the vet  that took the life of your chinchilla.  Unfortunately, you will probably never know for sure.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Sixpoint0db

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy 48 hours
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 01:26:11 PM »

Its a shame she was my first chin so she had a special place in my heart. Well I guess I have to just try to put this behind me. Thank you for the reply and that helped alot for some comfort closure. Thanks again
Dustin
Pages: [1]   Go Up