Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UREGENT--5 day old baby chinchilla cold..not moving much in cage but still alive  (Read 2084 times)

Seymour04

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile

It is still breathing but a little cold. I know it didnt get heat stroke. Ive been emaning to chance my bedding but cant find any in my area. I moved the mom and 2 other babies into another cage that wasnt used much and have her sitting ontop a blanket. I know she probably wont survive but she was fine yesterday.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile

why did you take her away from mum?

she NEEDS to be warm and she needs to be eating and have her mum stimulate her bowels. if her mum is not doing any of these things, you need to stick her on a heat pad, you need to hand feed her every hour and you need to wipe her bum with moistened cotton bud. if you can't do this, she's much better off with mum.

is there no emergency vet near you?

Seymour04

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile

Ok. Mom was not caring for her. I did put her in a box on a heating pad. I had a med dropper and she was taking water for me. I was gonna hand feed her. I got up off the floor for a minute to come back to an empty box. I was frantic. Only to find her in my dogs mouth ::cry222::: my husband had to pull her out and her front half was already gone.

I believe after looking at her she had fallen. My shelves arent that high but i have a colony so 3 adults in there maybe knocked her off. She had a red around her eyes which she wouldnt open but she also ahd a cut on her foot. Im not really sure. They mom and 2 other babies are now in a smaller cage jsut by them selves.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile

i am so sorry the baby had died. but. a few pointers given you've got two more.

1/ 5 day old baby should not be able to get onto a shelf. either have a single level cage or have the shelves high enough so only adults can get up.
2/ do not ever let other animals have access to your chins when you're not there and if you are there, only if you know what they're going to do - i.e., your dog eats chinchillas, do not let him anywhere near them ever! i have three dogs and one of them is an ex-racing greyhound, he would kill them without thinking about it before you could intervene. that's why they're in a locked room he can't get into.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:11:27 AM by dianah »

chingirls

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile

i am so sorry the baby had died. but. a few pointers given you've got two more.

1/ 5 day old baby should not be able to get onto a shelf. either have a single level cage or have the shelves high enough so only adults can get up.
2/ do not ever let other animals have access to your chins when you're not there and if you are there, only if you know what they're going to do - i.e., your dog eats chinchillas, do not let him anywhere near them ever! i have three dogs and one of them is an ex-racing greyhound, he would kill them without thinking about it before you could intervene. that's why they're in a locked room he can't get into.

I would of never left the baby alone, I would of thought of something better like, dogs should be outside. I dont trust mine either. and I dont trust cats. course mine that are left dont care and not wild. I feel bad that you lost your baby, how long has it been since you lost the chinchilla. and did you ever get a picture of the baby.

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile

Sorry for your loss.  It's best not to trust any type of predator type animal with chins. My mom got a miniature poodle and the thing follows her everywhere.  If he goes into my room he is told a firm "Get out." 
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde
Pages: [1]   Go Up