Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drinking too much water?  (Read 6158 times)

paulfg

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Drinking too much water?
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:43:05 AM »

We saved a 4 month old chinchilla from a pet store and he is in perfect health - great personaility, sleeps well and eats well.  My question is that he drinks a lot of water - we refill his bottle pretty much every day and a half.  Our other 5 chins drink about a third of what "Coal" does (he is a black velvet).  Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

Paul
 :)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking too much water?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 09:19:55 AM »

hmmm! i do find that they all differ in their water intakes, some drink next to nothing, some drink more but i guess five chins drinking a third of what one chin drinks would be a bit worrying. how long have you had him for? is it possible he was kept in a colder environment and he's adjusting? they tend to drink more when it's warm (i'm not suggesting it's too hot, just that perhaps it's warmer than he's used to)
how old are your other chins? i don't remember if kits drink more but that may be it? is he putting weight on?

paulfg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:19:14 AM »

Thanks Dianah for the response.  Actually I may have misspoke about the drinking - the other 5 chins will each drink about a 1/3 of what Coal does. Not total like I led to believe!  Yes he is gaining weight - very healthy I might add!  He was a rescue from a Petsmart (we usually use a wonderful breeder (Mt. Zion Chins) but he was calling me when we went in there and My wife really wanted him so home he came.  His environment is perfect - he is in the cool area of the house at all times and gets no overwhelming sunlight on his cage.  He gets tons of exercise.  He just has a drinking problem!!  A good one I hope?  Any other advice?  Anyone?  Just trying to rule out anything.

Thanks again

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:24:04 PM »

yah, my bo hardly drinks at all ,and it really bothers me because his poops are too dry...
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 02:35:11 PM »

sorry, i did understand that you meant that each of your 5 drinks 1/3 of coal's intake :D it's hard to get across isn't it?

could you measure how much it is he actually drinks? there may be a range listed somewhere (i'll have a nosy) and if he falls into it then i guess it would be ok? if not, we can go from there :)

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 01:54:34 PM »

also, just a thought. could his bottle be leaking? i've had loads of leaky bottles and sometimes it's not obvious! my girls had a bottle for like a year and then all of sudden they appeared to be drinking LOADS - it started leaking but we didn't notice!

paulfg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 02:03:21 PM »

Dianah,

I could kick myself - for every drop Coal drinks a drop falls to the pine below.  I thought the area was a pee spot but realized that he only pees in one area - not that one!  I feel better now knowing the bottle was the problem!  Thanks again!  I owe you!

Paul

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 04:22:33 PM »

yay! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up