Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does your chinchilla spill his/her food bowl  (Read 5647 times)

chingirls

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Does your chinchilla spill his/her food bowl
« on: May 14, 2011, 02:28:19 AM »

:doh: I am having a problem with my sweet chinchillas, they seem to knock their food bowl over
on purpose. no matter what i give them. when food bowl is full they leave it alone. and they do eat healthy
food. i just want to know why are they do this? and how do i get it to stop.
i cant always keep the food bowl full. and the waste of the food kills me.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Does your chinchilla spill his/her food bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 06:17:28 AM »

Chinchillas..you gotta love 'em.  Just like kids they will find things to entertain themselves and sometimes drive you crazy.  Invest in a food bowl that attaches to the side of the cage. Make it hand height for them when they are standing on their back legs.  If your pet store doesn't sell one for small animals look in  the bird section.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 07:54:31 AM »

i'm often amazed at how strong they are! the coop cups that attach to the cage work so much better (although i must admit mine even manage to get the bowl out of the holder and tip it over every so often - nowhere near as much as when using an ordinary bowl)

chingirls

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 03:07:32 PM »

i'm often amazed at how strong they are! the coop cups that attach to the cage work so much better (although i must admit mine even manage to get the bowl out of the holder and tip it over every so often - nowhere near as much as when using an ordinary bowl)

I just so much love my babies,even though they arent babies. she had babies but they never did live
long. I ill make sure I have better cages next time. anyway when I bought the cage it had everthing I needed to
start with when you first get a chinchilla. I had them in something else before but it never did work.
so i bought them a cage.
as soon as I get the money I will et one,I know dr foster smith sells good stuff. and thanks for helping me out.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 05:09:36 PM »

omg are they something or what. peronsally i have the heavy crocks in my cage, but when noel get going -- sometimes when its chin chins time out for playing, she gets very mad because --well no one else is allowed out but her..lol.. and she wants out, so she'll first come to bars and bite, then she'll just pushed the food dish away like it was a feather.. its so funny. but they don't actualy get knocked over.

what they do sometimes is just go in with their paws and pull all the hay out... :doh:
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 07:26:48 AM »

I screw tuna fish cans to the cages :D
Debbie.nl.ca

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:38:01 PM »

LOL!!! That sounds completely normal...With mine, I have to say that I agree with Diana...mine have figured out how to get the coop cups out and then play wwf chin time and baseball with them also!! Darn little buggers! They will NOT be fooled! It can be a bit frustrating as they can be wasteful furr balls but such is life. This is why I keep so many toys in the cage because at times I can keep the bowls in tact a good portion of the time...I have figured out some tricks to trying to keep their bad habits in line....LOL...it is SOOOOOOOO hard to be upset with them for more than 2.2 seconds...they are so darn cute! :2funny: ::silly::   

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 02:51:12 PM »

Oh and let me add that it does not end  with just the bowls...mine flip houses off ledges (heavy ones)!! and they manage to disconnect the water bottles and fling them across the room...UGH!!! (then the nerve..when I go into see what they are up to..I get a look that first says.."What did I do??" and then a look at disgust as to why they couldnt get a drink of water!!) LOL  :2funny: ;D 

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 10:29:03 AM »

Mine have only knocked there food bowl over once in 3 years. I have one that is attached to there cage. Every so offten my one chin will knock there pellets out. Its typically if i fill the bowl to full though. They have only done it one other time but that was because I mixed in a different kind of oxbow pellet mix and they didn't like that.

opaldamour

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »

We us a coop cup too. We have it up about a foot from the bottom, with a ledge attached to the cage next to it. It gives them less leverage to pull it out of the holder. Mine are much happier throwing the hay blocks around and pushing the cooling tiles off the ledges!
Pages: [1]   Go Up