Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Malocclusion  (Read 1477 times)

Dingie10

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Malocclusion
« on: April 14, 2010, 09:59:24 AM »

We recently lost Rocky, our 2 1/2 year old chin, to malocclusion.  It started when I took him to the vet because I thought he hurt his eye playing with his wooden hanging toy.  The vet thought it may be from malocclusion, but gave him drops for his eye.  Several days later, I took him back to the vet to check his teeth.  (I was worried about having him put under since Chins are small animals).  The vet stated that he had very bad malocclusion and an abscess.  He gave us critical care food, pain and antibiotics to give Rocky.  After about a week, I took Rocky back to the vet because he didn't seem to get better.  Rocky had lost some weight (he was a little overweight when we first took him in).  He suggested adding some baby carrots, apples, or peas to the critical care to get him interested in eating it.  Well after trying to get that into him, we went back to just the critical care and water, which he was eating a lot of.  The last time I took Rocky to the vet, he kept him over the weekend.  The vet gave us several updates during the day on Rocky's progress.  He would be alert and active, then lethargic again.  Unfortunately, when the vet called Monday morning, she said he was not as active as he was the night before.  She called about 2 hours later to say Rocky had died in her hands.  Our family and the vet were heartbroken.

My concern is Rocky's brother, Biggie.  Biggie is now by himself.  We've been monitoring his eating (he's a little piggy) and he's eating hay, Mazuri pellets, rosehip, and his occasional treat of shredded wheat or oatmeal oats.  He has plenty of wood to chew on.  I'm going to take him to the vet to have his teeth checked, but I'm worried that he may end up with malocclusion. 

When does the problem with malocclusion start to show up?  How can it be prevented?  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sue

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Malocclusion
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 05:42:43 PM »

i'm very sorry for you loss.  it is not easy to loss a loved one.

it can show at any time.. there is no set time..

now did rocky have problems with his routes?  or upper teeth?  if it is in the mouth they can file down? can't do anything for rootes. sorry i know i'm spelling that wrong.

as for problems with their teeth .. make sure they always have chews to chew on.. and i always use different hays because they chew each one different and therefore it helps to keep the back teeth trimmed.  some safe hays are: botanical, meadow, brome grass, oat, just to name a few.. i'm not saying you have to do this, but i do because i get so paranoid.. lol.. 

for chews i would make sure they have at least one type thats hard... like pumice, or super pet lava bites..

if jamie comes in she'll be the better person that can shed more light than i did..

jean

Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:29:16 PM »

I am so sorry about your chinchilla.  Did the vet file down his teeth?

Usually malocclusion is genetic but it can be brought on by injury or lack of proper chewing items.  I am treating a chinchilla now that had an injury which caused his teeth to shatter.  When they came back they grew in bad and now he has to be put down and filed every few weeks.  Thankfully his situation is just with uneven wear.  Sometimes the roots grow up into the sinus and there is nothing you can do for that.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:05:40 AM by chinclub »

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 08:00:57 AM »

Are both chins related?
Malocclusion can be hereditary, and I think most of the time.
Though there are other causes.
An injury, stress, particles stuck between the teeth, and lazy chewers, can all develop teeth problems.
I won't worry about the other one unless they were related. It's highly unlikely he will develop it too.

LOL Jamie your fast, that wasn't there when I was typing.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 08:41:50 AM »

:'(  Loosing one is never easy.  I am so sorry for your loss, but you did your best for him while he was with you.  The love and care you gave him made his life more bareable while his short time on earth.

Unless you know for sure, it is often hard to know if it is genetics or injury.  In this case, let us hope it was not genetics.  I would definitely get the brother x-rayed for his teeth ... other wise, it can not be usually seen in the early stages, if it is in the roots.  Do routine checks of the jaw line by rubbing your finger under the jaw and feel for any "bumps" ... if you find one or more ... I would definitely get it checked out.  The upper jaw line is harder to feel, but an early sign there is often watering eyes.  Only a vet can examine a chin's teeth completely, but you can always be on the lookout for certain trouble signs> slobbering/drooling, watery eyes, not eating the harder foods, not eating at all, holding the head at an odd angle when eating and sometimes, just being unusually fussy.

Please keep us posted.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Dingie10

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 02:17:56 PM »

My thanks to everyone who responded!  The chins were brothers and Biggie seems to be doing well.  We make sure he has more hay than the Mazuri pellets and he always has apple sticks to chew on.  I stopped giving him the apple treats in case they get stuck in this teeth.  Fingers crossed!

Pages: [1]   Go Up