Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can chinchillas have allergies?  (Read 6892 times)

zukitchi

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Can chinchillas have allergies?
« on: March 21, 2011, 06:24:03 AM »

Is it possible for chinchillas to have allergies? If so, what are the symptoms and treatments? When you Google this topic, all that comes up is human allergies to chinchillas. This year, the allergy season is particularly bad for at least humans, dogs, and cats, and I wonder if it can be problematic for chins too. My Linda has been sneezing  with a nasal discharge for a couple weeks now, and her antibiotic hasn't cleared it. So I don't know if she has a resistant infection and simply needs a new antibiotic, or if it could be allergies. She's fourteen years old, so it seems weird that she would have this for the first time now. She has lived the same place her whole life. I don't want to keep pumping her with antibiotics if it's not needed.

zukitchi

• View Profile
Re: Can chinchillas have allergies?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:50:38 AM »

Just to add a little bit more info as to why this could be a resistant infection vs allergies:

Infection: A couple days before this all started (Monday or Tuesday 02/28 or 03/01), I accidentally left the dust bath in her cage for 3 hours (I fell asleep). There was urine in the dust bath when I removed it from the cage. By Friday morning (03/04) I noticed she was sneezing a lot and had a nasal discharge/crust. I took her to the Emergency Vets that night and the vet on duty there put Linda on Baytril 1.00 cc, every 12 hours. Within the  next couple of days, the quality and quantity of her droppings severely deteriorated to the point where she pretty much wasn’t going at all. So I took her to a different vet (who has worked with chinchillas in the past) on either  Tuesday or Wednesday (03/08 or 03/09) and he had her stop the Baytril immediately and prescribed her a special probiotic gel/paste. By that time, here sinus symptoms were nearly gone (I heard here sneeze maybe twice a day, as opposed to several times an hour, no more nasal crust/discharge), so the vet suspected that the “overdose” of Baytril likely killed off her sinus infection since it also killed off everything in her gut. He said if it returned, to give him a call and he would further instruct me on a new dose of the Baytril that I already had.

Well, her droppings went back to normal right away, and some of her energy and appetite returned by the next day. But she never completely went back to her old self, and I noticed she was rubbing the side of her nose on rough surfaces a lot, like pumice and the corners of her platforms. And sure enough, by Sunday (03/13), her sinus problems were just as bad as they were originally, with frequent sneezing, discharge, and crust. So on Monday (03/14), I called the vet and he had me put her back on the Baytril at 0.25 cc every 12 hours. I had actually started her on it myself the Sunday night/Monday morning at 0.20 cc because I didn’t want to delay her treatment. When the vet gave me the new dose, he was concerned that she might have developed a resistance to it, and said if she wasn’t improved within 48 hours that I should call him and he will prescribe her a different antibiotic entirely. Well, she did seem slightly improved within those first 48 hours. I only heard her sneezing a couple times per day. So I kept her on it. But by Friday  (03/18) she seemed at her worst once again, with the more frequent sneezing and nasal discharge/crust. I had gradually increased her dose up to 0.5 cc on my own but she’s still not improved. Luckily, her droppings have been ok for the most part since I put her back on the antibiotics, just a little on the small side. I have been giving her plenty of probiotics in between antibiotic doses. I will note that throughout this process, I have not seen her run in her wheel once and she seems to rest more than anything else. Also, while she does eat and drink enough on her own, her appetite is not what it used to be.

Allergies: Discharge seems to be clear (although it does form crust sometimes). Does not affect lungs (sinuses only). Allergy season/pollen has been particularly bad here recently. Windows are open in room where she is housed (temperature has been in the 70s F). Other pets (dog) has similar symptoms with clear nasal discharge and sneezing, and this was determined to be allergies. My main concern is that she’s never displayed symptoms of allergies before, and I have had her for over 13.5 years of her life. She has always lived in the same place too.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 04:00:05 PM »

personally i dont' know, but if its not clearing up i would go back to the vet, and maybe you said you did in your second post, i didnt' read that one, sorry i have a bad headache, but i would play it safe.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

zukitchi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 06:16:18 AM »

Yeah, the vet gave her a new prescription yesterday - doxycycline w/ V.A.L. syrup (b vitamins). The dose is 0.4 cc twice per day. I hope this does the trick.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 11:26:59 AM »

i am not sure if this is an allergy but you can develop allergies so even if nothing has changed, she could be allergic to something she's been exposed to all her life. i'm not sure if allergy would present itself with nasal discharge though - what colour was the discharge? it could just be a virus that lingers.

one of my guinea pigs is allergic to sew dust - he was sneezing a lot when we got him so we took him to the vet and they checked him over, he was fine and they suggested that he's possibly allergic to the bedding. we changed the bedding to wooden pellets, he's perfectly fine.

so they can have allergies, i've heard of quite a few chins who were allergic to baytril.

interesting you mention about the bath though. my little girl mae suffered from gi stasis before christmas and i left the dust bath in her cage so she could go in and get a bit of exercise. she had a white nasal discharge and they could hear something in one of her lungs as well. that cleared with baytril but came back a week or so later and she got septrin for it instead, that sorted it out.

i don't actually think that dust bath causes it, but i think if there is something wrong in the respiratory system already, it makes it worse so i just didn't let her have a bath until it was all good. and she doesn't get many of them now either (they dry her ears out as well)

thegreatgazoo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 06:31:05 PM »

zukitchi, how did you make out with your chinchilla? I have one that is the same age and exact same symptoms. the vet put him on baytril too, but 2 weeks later he's still sneezing. he told me if there's no change he'll need an xray. i'm worried that this is going to cost a fortune after just losing my cat and trying to pay off that bill, but more importantly, i don't want to lose my little buddy. feel free to message me if you'd like as i'm worrying more & more.

zukitchi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 07:26:33 AM »

Thegreatgazoo,

Please see my other posts regarding my chinchilla's illness from the same time for additional info: http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3170.0.html

However, the above topic is not fully up-to-date. After the last post, I had to call the vet again and he put her on yet another antibiotic. She just wasn’t getting any better. I do not have the name of it with me right now, but I will try to find out later when I get home this evening. I never found out for sure whether she really had allergies, but her symptoms went away after she finished her new antibiotics. However, even after the sneezing/congestion went away, it still took a couple weeks for her personality to go totally back to normal. She’s fine now.

I wish you luck with your little chin. I will post the name of the medication later.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 08:46:41 AM »

zukitchi, how did you make out with your chinchilla? I have one that is the same age and exact same symptoms. the vet put him on baytril too, but 2 weeks later he's still sneezing. he told me if there's no change he'll need an xray. i'm worried that this is going to cost a fortune after just losing my cat and trying to pay off that bill, but more importantly, i don't want to lose my little buddy. feel free to message me if you'd like as i'm worrying more & more.

i would ask for septrin. so many times over the past few months i've seen infections that didn't respond to baytril, yet they responded to septrin. baytril is an antibiotic used on other animals too and it would appear that quite a few strains have built resistance to it. you can combine baytril and septrin too - i would do this (make sure you give your boy probiotics) - talk to your vet about this.

i don't know where you are but in the uk septrin is a human medicine (they give paediatric suspension for chinchillas) so you have to get it from the normal pharmacy with your vet's prescription. i think it's widely used on chins in the us but over here they tend to give baytril first.

it's a cheap medicine but your vet may charge you for the prescription (mine charges £4 for that and the septrin itself cost me less than £5)

thegreatgazoo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 04:08:09 PM »

Thanks Dianah. I just grabbed the vet bill printout and here's what they have listed on there as opposed to just Baytril on the vial. Baytril Inj 100mg/Prednisone Acetate 50mg Inj/Val Syrup. The vet combined all of this into 1 vial so I only have to give him it orally twice per day. The stufff smells nasty btw. Since he's not getting any better, I will mention to the vet about Septrin. Oh and I'm in the US.

zukitchi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 04:11:46 PM »

Thegreatgazoo,

Okay, the last antibiotic the vet gave me for my sick chin was "Doxycycline 100mg Caps (Qty 2.00 Cap)." It was compounded with "V.A.L. Syrup (Qty 0.50 oz)," and the prescribed dose was 0.4 ml twice per day.

She really loved the taste of this one. I just drew it up into the syringe to get the correct dose and then shot it into a spoon. Then I just opened the cage door and offered her the spoon and she lapped it right up. I almost think she was annoyed when I stopped giving it to her.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »

i'm pretty sure it's called septrin in the us as well but if not, these are the active ingredients: trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole, just in case ;)

i've googled the Prednisone Acetate and can't really find it being used for respiratory problems but perhaps they've had good results before! no wonder it stinks though.

good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up