Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: vaginal discharge  (Read 1883 times)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
vaginal discharge
« on: March 10, 2011, 03:43:45 AM »

mae didn't look happy yesterday and i took her out to be weighed and to check her tummy. i noticed she had a small dark clump on her fur near her bits and it turns out she has a brown discharge, as well as some clear discharge.

she has not been happy for about a week, on and off, i took her to the vet last thursday when she seemed a bit off and her tummy sounded gassy so we thought that was the problem given her history with stasis. but now i'm wondering if she'd had this and we just didn't see, or possibly the discharge wasn't present.

yesterday, she was doing this thing that very much looked like when a chin is giving birth standing up, mae very rarely stands up because she only has one back leg but she was doing it yesterday.
she's not pregnant, i've had her for more than 111 days and even though there are boys in the room they don't have access to her, she's been to the vets so many times and had her tummy checked and listened to and i think one of us would have noticed. she has no other symptoms of pregnancy either. i don't think she's in heat.

i called the er vet last night who told me to give her septrin and come to see the chin vet tomorrow (so today - i will call them as soon as they open)

i am worried. i've read that these type of infections are not common in chins.

has anybody seen anything like this before?

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: vaginal discharge
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »

I have seen it 3 times in 14 years and was only able to save one. We gave her sulfadrugs. The other two it was too late when we found the infection they went down in less than 24 hours. Are you sure she isn't pregnant though the gestation is 111-120 days. So many people think that 111 days on the dot..... just like in people it can go early or late. And I am sure you know this but you don't let her have playtime with the boys do you? so many people day but I watch them close..it takes 3 seconds, and they can breed through bars so if your males were out during playtime and had acess to her cage.

I had a female 2 years ago get pregnant at a show. A male escaped and was caught in under 5 minutes and 110 days after the show I had triplets and she had never been in a room with a male other than the show
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 11:44:20 AM »

thank you. what did the discharge of your girls look like?

she's definitely not pregnant. she's been with me since october and the boys are on the other side of the room so not even near her. i sometimes take spock (he's going to be her boyfriend in three weeks when he's no longer fertile) and hold him next to her cage so they can groom faces but there's definitely no funny business going on!

we are very careful about her getting pregnant by accident because of her health, her teeth issues - i'm pretty sure she would not carry to term or not survive the birth. and i don't know anything about her. and she only has one back leg. 

she's been to the vet and the vet couldn't see anything really worrying - the discharge has pretty much gone now - but she has spayed a chinchilla before (after a c-section) so if she has to have it done, she'll be in good hands.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 01:56:14 PM »

Any changes ?????  :hugs:
Debbie.nl.ca

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 03:02:40 PM »

hey debbie. the discharge disappeared on the day we took her to the vet (that was thursday) and she seems perfectly normal. i've come across info saying that some chins produce clear snotty looking discharge when in heat but you very rarely see it because they clean themselves - have you ever seen it?
i'm wondering if that was the case with her - she's missing a back leg so she can't stand up and bend down and forward, i've never seen her clean her bits at all, i see my other girls.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 07:58:15 PM »

Yes have seen it many a times, even seen a few that looked more like plugs.
It's usually white with some clear here and there.Some that don't clean as well can get very sticky and dirty from it too.
Debbie.nl.ca

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 11:46:58 AM »

interesting! hers was clear, sticky looking with brown bits (poo?) mixed in it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up