Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: sick chin, please help  (Read 3214 times)

zukitchi

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: sick chin, please help
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 10:26:02 AM »

Well, I think I know why she continued to rub the side of her face/nose... Her sinus infection never cleared up completely. It came back over the weekend, just as bad as it was originally. She has runny nose, crust, sneezing, etc.. Luckily she still has a good appetite for timothy hay. But she's still pretty lethargic, and her droppings are still on the lower end of normal. I have left a message for the vet about diluting her previous dose of antibiotics, as he suggested.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 11:55:34 AM »

oh dear :( i would suggest asking your vet about septrin? perhaps the strain she has is resistant to baytril? mae had a respiratory infection last year (at the same time as being in stasis, bless her) which was treated with baytril to start with, seemed to have gone away then came back. she was put on septrin and that fixed her. it's banana flavoured (it's an antibiotic for children - i had to get it from a normal pharmacy as vets can prescribe it but not dispense it, that's over here though) and much easier to get into them than baytril. i could just leave her in the cage and she'd have it off the syringe.

zukitchi

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 05:38:47 PM »

Well, the vet had me cut the dose to 0.25 ml every 12 hours (as opposed to 1 ml), and he said if there is no improvement within 48 hours to give him a call and he will give her a different antibiotic. He's concerned it's become resistant. Guess we'll see...

Also, he said that technically, the dose the ER vet gave wasn't wrong, it's the maximum recommended dose for a mammal of that size, but of course, chins' guts are much more sensitive than many other mammals, which is why she had such a problem.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 09:45:44 AM »

really? 2ml a day? i remember checking the dose when mae got an increased dose just to see how much higher we could go if that doesn't help and i'm pretty sure it was a lot less than 2ml. i can't find it now though!

hope she gets better soon xxx
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up