Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pooz chiness crusted puppy still peeing inside  (Read 3224 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
pooz chiness crusted puppy still peeing inside
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:34:40 AM »

I got daisy Dec 11th, She now weighs 4 lbs and is 5 months old. She is pretty good about doing outside but she is still haveing more then a few accidents inside. Any advice? When we leave her downstairts if we run errions for awhile she is fine though and doesn't have an accident. She has mainy pooz tu in her.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: pooz chiness crusted puppy still peeing inside
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 02:39:15 PM »

how do you clean up her accidents? if you just use human cleaning products, she can still smell it. you can get a special pet odour spray from the vets. i have an ex racer greyhound who had this problem and once i started using the spray, it improved dramatically.

also, what do you do when she has an accident? if you catch her do it, you need to distract her (running towards her, flapping your arms and shouting 'no no no' works) and you need to interrupt her, take her straight outside, wait for her to do a wee/poo and praise her to high heavens.

if you're already doing both.. then i'm not sure. a puppy should have learnt that by now if the house doesn't smell like a toilet to her and if she is clear on that she needs to do it outside.

megoony99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 04:16:38 PM »

I agree with all the things prviously stated.  I am a fan of crate training.  Dogs dont like to potty wear they sleep.  My dogs are crated when im not home and at night. 

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 06:32:23 PM »

bear was crate trained and he still had accidents until he was about 10 mos old. dont' push it an do not leave him outside the crate when you are gone.. the crate is the safest place for him to be. 

there is no certain time when they should of learned by, some learn quick and some dont'. i remember when i had my dillion, he picked it up super super quick. i couldn't believe that at such a young age he learned not to go in the house.. but with bear.. UGH!!!  . i always would bring him outside after he is allowed to get out of the crate, then i would play or whatnot with him, thinking its safe, and he still just went in the house... finally he's good now, but he took a longggggg time.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 01:03:52 AM »

i never crated any of mine but i have a great dane, a greyhound (who was fully grown when i got him) and a deerhound/greyhound cross who was a year old so fully tall just not filled out properly. i did consider crating murphy, the deerhound/greyhound boy but they don't do crates big enough. :)

we've had him for 6 months and he peed in the house yesterday. he could have gone in the garden so it wasn't out of desperation and he pretty much peed right next to the door that goes out to the garden. he does it every so often but he does have issues, he's also destroyed most of the house (just yesterday he tore my animal food delivery box, spread critical care everywhere and then licked it up) in those six months.
he did live outside with lots of other dogs before he came to the rescue and they were fed once every two weeks so you can imagine what he was like. he is the most loving creature though so peeing in the house once in a while or shredding all my possessions is generally forgiven :)

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »

i have puppy spray stuff i put down. I still have some spots to clean up. If i catch her in the act which is prob less then half i do tell her no and take it. But before i clean it and then take it outside to show her where it goes. I don't think i am praising her enough though. I'm going to start to give her a treat outside right when she goes.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 09:00:38 PM »

i think i'm going to have to start to cage train her or something. I took her out just an hr ago and i was about to again bc i was going to bed. She peeed in the house. Thats the second time today she has done that same thing. I tell her no and clean in up and take her and the paper towl out so she knows she needs to go out. She has went more in the house the past few days then i think when i first got her. My mom watches her during the day while i'm at school bc i still live with my parents. I grew up with a golden and they never caged trained him and i don't think it took him this long to learn. I know they are both diff dogs. I'm just frustrated. She was doing soo good. And only went in the house here and there. I don't know why she is doing so bad now.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 10:41:39 AM »

hmm... pointy was like this (he's the ex racer). he would be really good and then out of the blue started peeing in the house all the time. does she do it in the same place? i wasn't using the spray then and i went to talk to my vet who recommended the spray. i cleaned the whole room with the spray (the vet told me to use just that rather than human stuff and then the dog stuff) and he stopped instantly. it was laminate flooring which was lucky, i think it must be harder with carpet.

they all learn stuff at different rates but i do think a puppy should not have frequent accidents after nearly three months of house training. a few, sure, but not frequent.

so, i think it's either that she can smell her pee inside and she thinks that's where she needs to go or she's confused about what it is you want from her. i'd clean EVERYWHERE she's ever peed with dog pee spray like a lunatic. maybe try a different spray. i'd take her out every half an hour to see if she needs a pee. praise her like mental if she does. interrupt and take her out if she has an accident.

you can get these 'pee posts' you stick in the garden and the dogs pee on them.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 12:49:31 PM »

Ha, I have never heard of the pee posts and now its not in just one place its all over the house always on carpet. I wonder if the spray I have isn't working. I don't have it right next to me, its the one with baking soda in it i think ti help make it smell better. It does say for puppy accidents or something.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 01:04:01 PM »

this is the one i use
http://www.urineoff.com/estore/index.php/cat/cat-and-kitten-500ml-spray.html

i have never actually used a pee post so not sure how effective they are but apparently they have something in them that attracts the dogs. let's face it, from my experience, if it's vertical, they'll pee on it! (but i have boys  ::) )

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »

lol. Yes boys will pee on alot of things. Thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out. I'm on my phone right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up