Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A lot of jumping  (Read 2484 times)

Chins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
A lot of jumping
« on: January 24, 2011, 12:21:02 AM »

Ridley loves to jump, he constantly jumps out of the playpen during play time. My husband and I feel bad because we can't let him just run around the apartment.
We usually tell him firmly 'No' (sometimes after we catch him) and put him back in the pen and then he'll jump out a few more times. We repeat the procedure a few times, then Ridley sits still for a bit then resumes.

Any advised on how to curb the behavior a bit? Saurumon is happy just running around for the entire time but Ridley loves to jump and we hate scolding him and having to constantly stand over the pen watching him..
It seems that isn't fun for anyone.

Thanks!

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: A lot of jumping
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 06:19:12 PM »

chinchillas jump, thats what they do, eat, poop, jump..etc..... some may jump more than otherrs, but for curbing it , i don't know how you would do that.. some of mine jump out of their pen, so i don't use it much.  you can use the bathroom, shut the door, close the toilet lid, take everything away that is dangerous to them.

you may also be able to get a cover for the pen, if not, look for a pen with a cover.

sorry, i know that doesn't offer you much hope..

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 01:03:15 AM »

lol thanks. That is actually something that has crossed our minds. We thought maybe we were missing something.
But it seems like we're not.

So actually it's extremely helpful. We're first time chinchilla owners and everything is a questions.

Thank you a ton! ;)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 10:32:02 AM »

I have also found it easier to let them out in a chin safe room.Sitting on the floor with them is just the most fun. ::nod::
I hold a raisin between my lips and see who finds it first. :D
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 04:13:51 PM »

debbie did you say raisin.. shame shame on you... :2funny:
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 07:02:07 AM »

;)   ;D

It's hard to hold a flake of oatmeal there. rofl
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 11:57:47 AM »

rofl

i had to pic on you, you know i was just messing with you right?
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 12:53:53 AM »

Thanks guys! We've been trying to figure out different options for them, since our 1 bedroom apartment isn't ideal.

opaldamour

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:45:51 AM »

Chins,

My boyfriend and I also live in an apartment. We had a piece of plywood cut to block off our hall so the girls could run between our spare room and the bathroom. We sit with them for atleast an hour every night and let them run. Chin proofing is important though. It took us several months to chin-proof our spare room, since we use it as an office. We moved everything that we thought they would get into, and then watched them for the stuff we missed or didn't think of. they still manage to find something on occasion that I have to alter. 

Once you get the habits of your chin down, you could watch TV and just keep one eye on them, or use your computer or whatever. I play games on my laptop when I dont feel like sitting on the floor. Dharma runs over my bare feet, and Lily has learned how to jump up in my lap to watch my computer screen. I know when things get quiet that Lily is either on top of the cage playing queen on the room, or looking for something to get into. That's when it's time to go 'chilla hunting and make sure they didn't find something I missed.

I also highly recomment empty boxes. We take all the tape off of them, fold the tops and bottoms, and cut holes in the sides. You can turn them into chinny mazes. They love to run through them and jump on them. It will keep them busy and out of trouble while you give them play time. And it's a great way to be alittle greener. Keeps them from just being landfill waste. My girls even have a small pop
box in their cage. Just make sure chins don't eat it like crazy. It could upset their digestion. My girls just pull strips and chunks off until they have it they way they want it, then it's a sleeping box.

Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 03:37:18 PM »

That's a GREAT idea. I will definitely be trying that. I love the box idea.

Is it alright if they eat the cardboard though? My chillas seem to put everything in their mouth.

opaldamour

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 09:41:47 AM »

Yeah it's ok to an extent. Just make sure you keep an eye on their poops. If they start getting small you may want to limit the cardboard they get to eat. Mine don't seem to like the taste, but they love shredding it. Lily did a demo yesterday as a matter of fact. She took her pop box and shredded one side of it for another entry point. I guess 4 ways in wasn't enough. Now we has a corner of the cage filled with strips of shredded cardboard. It's about time to replace it anyways... she's turning it into a lean-to instead of a house!
Pages: [1]   Go Up