Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bugs  (Read 2469 times)

Heather

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Bugs
« on: March 16, 2011, 06:02:34 AM »

Hi everyone

A few months ago we noticed that we were getting the odd bug in our chins room - I think that they must have come in pellets or hay. They are small and brown and can fly - I don't know exactly what type they are and neither does my animal expert friend! They don't seem harmful and don't bite or sting. The chins aren't bothered at all, but I'd like to get rid of them. I don't usually kill anything but when they're in my babies room it's different! Is there any method to get rid of them that won't harm the chins? Thanks!

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 10:38:44 AM »

i had the same problem with flies - they were big black flies, just like normal house flies but they stung and properly attacked if you went into the room! they must have come in something because we don't have them over here but we just bought sticky fly paper and hung it where the chins couldn't get to it. also desinfected pretty much everywhere and made attempts to remove as much daily poo as possible so they wouldn't have anything to eat. god that sounds mean but we really couldn't have done anything else.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 04:50:53 PM »

last summer when i put the air conditioner in their room, i had a problem with little tiny bugs flying around.. i put stuff all around the window so bugs couldn't get in, so i have no clue how they got there.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »

I got these little tiny flies when we had the hamster in a wooden cage.He would tug on the water bottle and the cage floor got wet.Have not seen one since we got him a new plastic cage.
Debbie.nl.ca

opaldamour

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:16:59 PM »

You can get the 'earth friendly' raid in your home and garden center, and use that to kill them. Cover your Chin's cage with a sheet, and spray the bugs. Make sure you wipe down the walls and surfaces really well though, because even though its natural pyrine oil (from the chrysathemum flower) it can still be toxic to animals. Soap and water will kill infects on surfaces too, but with flying ones it's not going to be very effective. One of the things that we do is treat our pellets. You can place them in a pan in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour and it will kill and insects and larvae that may be in your pellets. That is the most common 'point of entry' for insects associated with animals.

If you don't want to use a spray (which is completely understandible) you can use a vaccum with a hose to suck up the bugs you can see, and make sure you clean the cages throughly and remove any trash. Put your food and hay in an airtight container (I know this is not recommended for hay, but if you do it for a week it should still be fine), and change the bedding every other day until you don't notice the bugs anymore. Diligence is going to be your friend!
Pages: [1]   Go Up