Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to stop chewing?  (Read 3172 times)

smokie

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
how to stop chewing?
« on: November 21, 2010, 03:45:37 PM »

my chinchillas are slowly destroying my room; they eat the walls/doors/carpet/furniture/wires and anything else.  i have them out for hours every night and it's not possible to move them to another room.  is there anything i can use to stop them eating stuff?  particularly the carpet and windowframe!

any help would be great.  also i live in the uk so please bear that in mind x

BambiLove

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Why must chinchillas be so cute?
    • View Profile
Re: how to stop chewing?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 08:58:31 PM »

Everytime I let my chinchilla out to play, i would always cover my wires with a blanket, since I have them all in 1 place. I move all the plugs up so my chinchilla can't reach it. And for furnitures and other things, I have watch him to make sure he doesn't chew on them. He kinda stopped chewing on them now. Everytime he chew or do something I don't like I would yell "no bambi!" and I think he learned what that means, since he hear me say that everyday. 8/10 times he stop doing it when I yell at him. You can try teaching him that? And make sure he has a lot of chew toys in his cage so when he come out he won't be hungry for chewing. 
I wish one day every pet will have a good home and be happy~

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 11:08:53 AM »

don't take this the wrong way, but that i what chinchillas do.. chew chew chew poop poop poop.

you have to  make the room chin safe.

alot of people will use bathrooms, probably easiest room to make chin safe,, you have to take everything that can be harmful out of the way, and very important close the lid to the toilet, and sit in there with him

or i dont' know what type of stores you have over there, but they have playpens you can also purchase, that would probably be the best. someone in here bought one [better than the one i have] but  i dont remember who it was .. other wise i would look the thread up and post the link, sorry.
j
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

smokie

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 01:52:51 PM »

thanks for all the help everyone  ;)

they have loads of toys and chew stuff but alas i think they enjoy the attention they get when i'm trying to get them to stop eating stuff.  i take it there's no deterrent but i will try the No, Smokie.

thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up