Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips on helping them get along  (Read 1206 times)

sarahlydear

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Tips on helping them get along
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:11:02 PM »

So I have two males: one is over a yr old and the other about 4-5 months old.
The older male, Herby, is more than willing to love the baby and hang out and is trying to be very friendly.
Its the baby, Theo, that's being a pain. When ever Herby comes near he does the spitting/chirping/growling thing. Its never gotten violent and every once in a while Herby will run him in a circle to tell him to can it. Their cages are next to each other and they get the same treatment. I tried putting a treat between them when ever they came together, Herby caught on real quick but it took Theo some time, then when he did he was fine for a few times then started crabbing at Herby for the treat.
They alternate every other night between getting put in the bathroom to play together and then running individually with me in my room. Also they have run of my room, separately, when I clean their cages in the morning. So far it Seems to be getting a little better but I'd like to help as much as possible.
Any suggestions?     

sarahlydear

• View Profile
Re: Tips on helping them get along
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:32:33 PM »

If I can't help these two work it out then I have to get ride of Theo. Right now he is in a temporary cage, but I am falling asleep at school because I have to add extra time I don't have to take care of him. I would LOVE to keep him but if Herby and him can't work it out I'm going to have to get ride of him.
Also this summer I'm going into basic training and a friend of mine who used to own chins is going to be watching them. I will most likely be shipped into combat and I would like to not have to worry about my baby being lonely and bored. The babysitter is not a youngin' and she can't get down on the ground and play money bars like I do.  Another friend would be a traveling comfort and someone to help keep him company. Thus I would like to give him the most time possible to bond.
So any help would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 06:44:53 PM »

I take both in my arms and make them be closed to each other.Cuddling and speaking to them
When one starts to growl I blow gently and tell them NO. My version of the smoosh method. LOL

I then put them in a small GP type cage with a dust bath. Sitting with them to blow if need be.
I just keep that routine going until they adjust.Every night same time same routine.Some take days,others months all are different.
Then I have loads of time,and that's what you need to get them together.
Debbie.nl.ca

sarahlydear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 01:13:11 PM »

Thank you! I will give that a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up